LA Phil & Classical KUSC Will Continue Partnership to Broadcast 2014 Hollywood Bowl Concerts
Ten Los Angeles Philharmonic concerts from the current Hollywood Bowl season will be broadcast on Classical KUSC beginning Sunday, August 10 at 7:00 PM. This is the eighth year of the orchestra's summer partnership with the Los Angeles listener-sponsored classical music radio station.
The concerts will be recorded live on select nights at the Hollywood Bowl featuring the LA Phil with a stellar roster of artists and conductors. Hosted and produced by KUSC's Brian Lauritzen and executive produced by KUSC's Gail Eichenthal, the programs air weekly at 7:00 PM on Sundays from August 10 through October 12, and are heard throughout much of Southern California on 91.5 Classical KUSC, 88.5 KPSC in Palm Springs, 91.1 KDSC in Thousand Oaks, 99.7 KESC in Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo, and 88.7 KQSC in Santa Barbara. The programs can also be heard online at KUSC.org. Most concerts will be available for online streaming for one week following the broadcast. Interviews and features with soloists and orchestra members throughout the series offer unique insights and give listeners a more in-depth perspective. The project is made possible through support from the office of Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.
The series opens Sunday, August 10 at 7:00 PM with a broadcast of conductor James Gaffigan leading the Los Angeles Philharmonic and pianist Behzod Abduraimov in Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet Suite (recorded on July 15).
Additional concerts in the broadcast series include the following highlights (all artists and concerts subject to change):
- August 17 broadcast of the LA Phil led by Conductor Laureate Esa-Pekka Salonen and pianist Yuja Wang in a program of Prokofiev and Shostakovich (recorded July 17).
- August 24 broadcast of Music Director Gustavo Dudamel leading the LA Phil and violinist Renaud Capuçon, cellist Gautier Capuçon and pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet in a program of Beethoven (recorded July 22 and 24).
- August 31 broadcast of Dudamel leading the LA Phil in Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci (recorded July 27).
- September 7 broadcast of Joshua Weilerstein conducting the LA Phil with special guests Alison Balsom (trumpet) and Miloš Karadagli? (guitar) (to be recorded August 5).
- September 14 broadcast of Leonard Slatkin conducting the LA Phil and cellist Yo-Yo Ma in a program to include Elgar's Cello Concerto (to be recorded August 14).
- September 21 broadcast of Nicholas McGegan conducting the LA Phil and pianist Inon Barnatan in an all-Mozart program (to be recorded August 21).
- September 28 broadcast of Stéphane Denève conducting the LA Phil and pianist Marc-André Hamelin in a program of Bach, Beethoven and Mussorgsky (to be recorded August 26 and August 28).
- October 5 broadcast of Ludovic Morlot conducting the LA Phil and clarinetist Kari Kriikku in a program of Mendelssohn and Mozart (to be recorded September 2).
- October 12 broadcast of conductor Juanjo Mena leading the LA Phil, Los Angeles Master Chorale and soloists in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (to be recorded September 11).
For additional information, please visit: http://www.laphil.com/watchlisten/broadcasts.