Australian Brandenburg Orchestra Celebrates 25 Years with 2014 Season
In 1989 Paul Dyer AO and Bruce Applebaum went out on a big limb. They founded an orchestra.
25 years later, the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra is a significant and much-loved member of this country's cultural landscape, enjoying international recognition as one of the leading and exciting period instrument ensembles in the world. The Brandenburg Choir, established in 1990, became an important part of the Brandenburg family and has allowed Paul to present the great choral works of the renaissance, baroque and classical periods to Australian audiences.
"We have a lot to be proud of as we reach this milestone, so I've programmed seasons in Sydney and Melbourne that are big on celebration and excitement, with a real sense of occasion and edge," says Paul Dyer, Artistic Director.
· A spectacular tribute to J.S. Bach with the full orchestra and choir, honouring the magnificence of the composer after whose Brandenburg Concertos the orchestra was named.
· Celebrated Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin has been commissioned to create a major new work - inspired by Bach - for period instrument orchestra and choir.
· Two emerging stars of the international stage will appear as guest soloists - Russian baroque violin virtuoso and countertenor Dmitry Sinkovsky and Grammy nominated Israeli mandolin player Avi Avital.
· A collaboration with traditional Turkish musicians and Sufi Whirling Dervishes, with the debut of the Brandenburg Chanters(in Sydney only).
· A shop-stopping all-Mozart event featuring his last symphony - the Jupiter - and the famous Flute and Harp Concertowith Brandenburg favourites Marshall McGuire on period harp and Melissa Farrow on period flute.
· The ever-popular Noël! Noël! Christmas concerts, each year with unique flavour.
"When Bruce and I started the Brandenburg 25 years ago to play baroque and classical music on instruments of the period, we never envisaged where we might be a quarter of a century down the track," reflects Paul.
"Our players and singers inspire me each time we take to the stage. It is because of their commitment, talent, support and friendship that I can create an adventurous program like this. We thank every musician who played in the Brandenburg over the years for helping us reach 25 years in such style and with so much fun."
FOR A BROCHURE OR TO MAKE SUBSCRIPTION ENQUIRIES CALL:
BRANDENBURG BOX OFFICE on 1300 782 856
DISCOVER 2014 ONLINE: WWW.BRANDENBURG.COM.AUSEASON 2014 photography: Toby Burrows www.tobyburrows.com