NSTA Releases 'Doing Good Science in Middle School'
This lively book from NSTA contains the kind of guidance that could only come from middle school science teaching veterans. The authors of Doing Good Science in Middle School, Expanded 2nd Edition have made the book easy to use, whether you want to read it cover to cover or pick out sections to help you with lesson planning and classroom management. They have thoroughly revised this second edition to meet the needs of today's students. The book contains:
- big-picture concepts, such as how to understand middle school learners and explore the nature of science with them;
- a comprehensive overview of science and engineering practices, STEM, and inquiry-based middle school science instruction, aligned with A Framework for K-12 Science Education and the Next Generation Science Standards;
- 10 new and updated teacher-tested activities that integrate STEM with literacy skill-building;
- information on best instructional practices and professional-development resources; and
- connections to the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and mathematics.
If you're a new teacher, you'll gain a solid foundation in how to teach science and engineering practices while better understanding your often-enigmatic middle-grade students. If you're a veteran teacher, you'll benefit from a fresh view of what your colleagues are doing in new times. Either way, Doing Good Science in Middle School, Expanded 2nd Edition is a rich opportunity to reaffirm that what you do is "good science."