David Javerbaum, Ed Asner and More Set for AUDIOBOOK MARATHON LIVE: AN ALS CHARITY EVENT, 11/9
The first ever Audiobook Marathon LIVE: An ALS Charity Event - 25 Hours, 12 Genres, 2 Amazing Causes! is set for The Victory Theater in Burbank, Calif., on Saturday, November 9, 2013. (Starts Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM and continues until Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM.)
You've heard them through your speakers, earbuds, and headphones, now see them perform live!
The event begins with an hour long Children's Hour. The remainder of the event will occur in 90-minute performance blocks. For more information, visit www.audiobooksLIVE.org.
The Victory Theatre is located at 3326 W Victory Blvd, Burbank, Calif. Tickets: General Admission: $15; Children's Hour: $10 (6:30pm-7:30pm). NOTE: after initial hour, all tickets apply to 90-minute performance blocks. Audible Inc. has donated one free download with the purchase of every ticket. Attendance is required to collect. Tickets can be purchased at http://audiobooks.brownpapertickets.com.
Audiobook lovers and literature buffs can delight in the rare opportunity to see and hear LA's top audiobook narrators and celebrity guests come together live to perform selections from time honored classics and contemporary best sellers of every genre. The marathon will begin with a Children's Hour followed by twelve 90-minute performance blocks. In each block a different collection of five fan favorite narrators will read selections in a specific genre of literature.
· Children's Hour 6:30pm-7:30pm
· Humor 8:00pm-9:30pm
· Thriller/Mystery 10:00-11:30pm
· Science Fiction Midnight-1:30am
· Erotica 2:00am-3:30am
· The Undead 4:00am-5:30am
· Inspiration/Health 6:00am-7:30 am
· Deyan's Favorites 8:00am-9:30 am
· Non-Fiction 10:00am-11:30am
· Romance Noon-1:30 pm
· Classics 2:00pm-3:30pm
· Multi-Cast 4:00pm-5:30pm
· Humor 6:00pm-7:30pm
Beer, wine, coffee and other refreshments will be available for sale in the Lobby.
FUN & GAMES: Throughout each 90-minute block the narrators and audience will be issued fun challenges to enhance, complicate, or render completely incoherent some of our most treasured stories. Might we get a priceless opportunity to hear Scott Brick read Fifty Shades of Grey in a Scottish accent with a mouthful of marshmallows? Anything is possible!
PRIZES: Alongside the performances there will be raffles with prizes that are sure to excite audiobook and literature fans alike. There will also be an online auction of rare items and once in a lifetime experiences.
Online auction prizes include:
· Tour of Random House Studios and lunch with the narrators.
· The Complete Works of Ernest Hemingway from Simon & Schuster Audio, a $400 value
· Lunch with Henry Winkler. You and one guest will eat lunch (Sushi or Italian - you choose) in Los Angeles in January or February 2014! You get to eat with The Fonz!
· Personalized voicemail messages recorded by famed narrators Scott Brick, Dion Graham, Edoardo Ballerini, Simon Vance and more
· Visit George Guidall in a NYC studio and see The Master at work
· A ticket to the 2014 Audie Awards Ceremony in New York City
· Hunger Games set (Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay)
· 2 complete sets of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series
· 2 complete sets of the Harry Potter series
· Platinum Spanish Living Language ($179 value)
· Platinum French Living Language ($179 value)
· Maggie Stiefvater sets: Shiver series (Shiver, Linger, and Forever), The Scorpio Races (single title), Raven Cycle series (two titles have been published to date, The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves) all in library packaging with cover inserts signed by Maggie Stiefvater
· DVD's: Scholastic Treasury of 100 Storybook Classics -- This is a box set of 100 Weston Woods films on 16 DVD's
· Demo recording: For any NY-based voiceover talent willing to come to Weston Woods' studio in Danbury, CT, three hours of studio time to record and edit an audiobook narration demo
· Gift cards to Audible.com, High Bridge Audio, eChristian Audiobooks, and many more
· One on one feedback sessions with a Random House Director
· One on one narration classes with a number of established working instructors including Carol Monda, Johnny Heller, Robin Miles, Pat Fraley, and Marc Cashman
· 90-minute in-house massage
· Voice Over Talent Listing in Audiofile Magazine, a MUST for new narrators
· A one year APA (Audio Publishers Association) membership
· Countless bestselling audiobooks from top publishers Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, Random House, Scholastic, Blackstone, Recorded Books and more
To bid on one of these amazing prizes and many more visit: http://www.32auctions.com/audiobooks
- David Javerbaum; The Daily Show, The Tweet of God (Reading Humor)
- Daniel di Tomasso; Witches of The East End (Reading Romance)
- Marion Ross; Happy Days et al (Reading in Children's Hour)
- Rachel Butera; Frequent guest on the Howard Stern Show (Reading Erotica)
- And More!
Ramon De Ocampo
John H. Mayer
Proceeds from the auction will go to the ALS Association. Ticket sales and all other proceeds from the live event will go toward medical expenses for beloved audiobook producer Bob Deyan, who has been suffering with ALS disease for several months. www.alsbob.com or www.alsa.org
The 25 Hour Audiobook Marathon Live was inspired by audiobook producer Bob Deyan's current fight with ALS. Bob and his wife, Debra, own and manage Deyan Audio, a recording and production studio that has produced multiple Grammy and Audie Award winning audiobooks and brought work to hundreds of narrators and audio engineers.
While enjoying the grand opening gala of their new studios in Northridge, CA Bob's leg began tingling. That was the beginning. Bob has been battling ALS for several months now. He has since lost the ability to walk and can now only speak on occasion. Friends, family, and professionals in the audiobook industry were stunned and saddened by Bob's diagnosis. But ever since discovering he is ill, Bob has made it his mission to battle this disease, which includes raising awareness as well as money for ALS-related charities. Many in the industry have rallied behind him, uniting an often solitary community of professionals. His health, however, has been declining and with the escalating cost of hospital visits and home care, the audiobook community wants to pick up the torch by continuing to raise money and awareness for research and help Bob and Debra with their mounting medical expenses. All donations raised toward Bob's care will be facilitated by the not-for-profit Help Hope Live. www.helphopelive.org
Deyan Audio: Bob and Debra Deyan LOVE books and especially AUDIOBOOKS! So, when Bob and Debra got married they put their schooling and experience together and dove into the publishing world. When they got started, audiobooks were recorded to 1/4" tape. Things have come a long way since then!
Deyan Audio is a multimedia company, which was conceived in 1990 by Bob and Debra Deyan in Van Nuys, CA. Bob Deyan, from Los Angeles, has a B. A. in Radio/Television Broadcasting from the University of CaliforNia Long Beach. Debra Deyan from Virginia Beach, holds a MBA from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA.
Bob produces, directs, and quality controls (QC) audiobooks, as well as manages the company alongside his wife Debra. He has produced over 1,000 audio books. Bob has directed celebrity readers such as Richard Dreyfuss, Craig Ferguson, Raven Simone, Malcolm Jamal Warner, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Alice Cooper, Dudley Moore, Juliet Mills, Ed Asner, Patrick McNee and recorded Milton Berle, Whoopi Goldberg and Joe Mantegna and many more. Bob also works with celebrity authors and famous motivational speakers.
Besides more than 20 years in the audio book business, Bob has had experience as a Television Director, Videographer, Photographer, Voice Over/Radio Talent and Operations Manager for a Los Angeles based radio station. During his college days at UCA-LB, Bob was chosen out of hundreds of applicants to intern on the set of M.A.S. H. for several weeks based on a script he wrote for the show.
Debra manages the editing and engineering team and QCs. Debra is responsible for financials and daily operations. Before Debra started her 20 plus year career in audiobook creation, she used her MBA in the swimming pool supply business as a Director of Regulatory and Legal Affairs for 7 years and prior to that she put herself through college as a saleswoman for 6 years in the wholesale fishing tackle industry.
ALS: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive degenerative disease that affects the nerves and spinal cord. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed. There is no cure or treatment to reverse the disease.
The ALS Association: The mission of The ALS Association is to lead the fight to treat and cure ALS through global research and nationwide advocacy while also empowering people with Lou Gehrig's disease and their families to live fuller lives by providing them with compassionate care and support. We are a member of the National Health Council and the only national organization solely dedicated to fighting ALS on all fronts while directly serving the ALS community. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fostering government partnerships, The ALS Association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure. www.alsa.org
The Audiobook Marathon Planning Committee: Mostly comprised of narrators, the committee behind the event includes Tara Sands, Cassandra Campbell, Deanna Hurst, Steve Sidawi, MacLeod Andrews, Hillary Wilson, Kimberly Farr, Kathe Mazur, Coleen Marlo, Vikas Adam, Michael Goldstrom, Allyson Ryan, and Jessica Kaye.