The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Announces its 2014 List of 10 PLACES IN PERIL
ATLANTA, Oct. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation released today its 2014 list of ten Places in Peril in the state.
Sites on the list include: Sowega Building in Adel (Cook County); Blackshear Prison Camp in Blackshear (Pierce County); Chauncey School in Chauncey (Dodge County); Griffin City Hall in Griffin (Spalding County); Hawkinsville Firehouse in Hawkinsville (Pulaski County); Kolb Street House in Madison (Morgan County); Church of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Sharon (Taliaferro County); Greek Revival houses of Troup County; W&A Railroad Depot in Tunnel Hill (Whitfield County); and the Connally Marchman House in Villa Rica (Carroll County).
"This isthe Trust's ninth annual Places in Peril list," said Mark C. McDonald, president and CEO of the Trust. "We hope the list will continue to bring preservation action to Georgia's imperiled historic resources by highlighting ten representative sites," McDonald said.
Places in Peril is designed to raise awareness about Georgia's significant historic, archaeological and cultural resources, including buildings, structures, districts, archaeological sites and cultural landscapes that are threatened by demolition, neglect, lack of maintenance, inappropriate development or insensitive public policy.
Through Places in Peril, the Trust will encourage owners and individuals, organizations and communities to employ proven preservation tools, financial resources and partnerships in order to reclaim, restore and revitalize historic properties that are in peril.
Sites that have been placed on previous years' lists have included:Stilesboro Academy in Bartow County, which received a $25,000 gift in 2013 to restore the exterior; Chattahoochee Park Pavilion in Gainesville, which was restored in 2013; Fort Daniel in Buford, which was purchased by Gwinnett County and leased to the Fort Daniel Foundation who is developing an educational outreach program; the Spencer House in Columbus, which received a $10,000 grant from the Historic Columbus Foundation and community support to finish restoring the exterior; and the Hill House at Andalusia in Milledgeville, which received a Preservation Award for Excellence in Restoration from the Trust in 2013. Updates on these sites and others can be found at www.georgiatrust.org.
Founded in 1973, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation is one of the country's largest statewide, nonprofit preservation organizations. Committed to preserving and enhancing Georgia's communities and their diverse historic resources for the education and enjoyment of all, The Georgia Trust generates community revitalization by finding buyers for endangered properties acquired by its Revolving Fund; provides design assistance to 102 Georgia Main Street cities and encourages neighborhood revitalization; trains teachers in 63 Georgia school systems to engage students to discover state and national history through their local historic resources; and, advocates for funding, tax incentives and other laws aiding preservation efforts.
Summary information on each 2014 Places in Peril follows. For additional background material and more information on each site including downloadable high-resolution images, please go to www.georgiatrust.org/news/2014pip.php.
Summary Information on each Places in Peril Site
Sowega Building, Adel, Cook County
The Sowega Building is a prominent building in downtown Adel, which Life magazine named the watermelon capital of the world in a 1930s article. It was built in 1929 for the Southwest Georgia (Sowega) Melon Growers and uses watermelons as a design motif. In recent years, the building was home to Del-Cook Lumber Co., the largest producer of longleaf pine lumber in the world. It is currently owned by the Adel-Cook County Chamber of Commerce.
The Sowega Building is currently vacant, and the City of Adel lacks funding for its upkeep. Water intrusion is leading to the gradual deterioration of the upper stories of the structure and contributes to the overall deterioration of the building.
Blackshear Prison Camp, Blackshear, Pierce County
The Blackshear Prison Camp was established in 1864 as a prisoner-of-war station for Union soldiers during the Civil War. The camp housed more than 5,000 inmates transferred between nearby Millen and Andersonville to avoid potential liberation by Sherman's forces.
The property is zoned for residential use, and several houses have been constructed over a portion of the original camp in the past ten years. The remaining undeveloped portion of the site is privately owned and unprotected from development.
Chauncey School, Chauncey, Dodge County
Chauncey was the first city in Georgia to issue bonds to construct and equip a modern school building. As a result, the Chauncey School was built in 1914 on a budget of $10,000. The building featured six classrooms, a state-of-the-art science laboratory, and a regal auditorium.