Art Institute of Chicago Announces New Admissions Policy and Free Hours
The Art Institute of Chicago has announced its new admissions policy and free hours for 2013. There will be a new fee structure for out-of-state visitors, Illinois residents and Chicago residents. Beginning February 14, the museum returns to free Thursday evenings for Illinois residents.
ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO NEW ADMISSIONS PRICES
EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2013:
Effective February 1, 2013, the Art Institute will implement a new fee structure:
- Chicago residents: $18.00 ($5.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
- Illinois residents: $20.00 ($3.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
- Out-of-state visitors: $23.00
Students and seniors:
- Chicago residents: $12.00 ($6.00 discount from base $18.00 fee)
- Illinois residents: $14.00 ($6.00 discount from base $20.00 fee)
- Out-of-state visitors: $17.00 ($6.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
Children under 14: Free
Special exhibitions: Free with general admission. Surcharge for select exhibitions may apply during free hours for IL residents.
Certain community members always get free admission.
- Children under 14
- K-12 Illinois teachers and Illinois school groups
- Chicago police and firefighters
- Active members of the U.S. military
- Former PoWs and disabled U.S. veterans
ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO FREE HOURS PROGRAM
EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 14, 2013:
The museum is returning to the popular Free Thursday Evenings.
- Beginning February 14, 2013, the Art Institute will offer free admission every Thursday evening for Illinois residents from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Free Thursday Evenings will replace the 2012 free days of the first and second Wednesdays of every month.
- Free Winter Weekdays for Illinois residents will continue through February 13, 2013. Illinois residents are required to show proof of residency to receive a free ticket at the Art Institute's admissions counter. On Saturdays and Sundays during this period, general admission policies apply.
The museum offers a wide array of free admission opportunities for Illinois residents.
- Free evening once a week (Thursdays, 5:00-8:00 p.m.) throughout the year
- Free Winter Weekdays January 7-February 13, 2013
- Free to families whose children receive a family pass during school group visits
- Free for holders of Chicago Public Library museum passes
The public enjoys the following museum areas free of charge:
- The Ryan Education Center in the Modern Wing as well as all programs for families and children within the center
- The North and South Gardens (accessible from Michigan Avenue)
- The Nichols Bridgeway connecting the museum to Millennium Park
- The Bluhm Family Terrace on the third floor of the west pavilion of the Modern Wing
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
Children under 14 receive free admission.
Members receive free admission.