Comscore

re: Sutton Foster's voice type

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Sutton Foster's voice type
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:11pm
I was wondering what sutton's voice type is. After listing to the final note in show off i think she is a soprano but don't know for sure. Also, she can go pretty high. Am I the only one that would like to hear her do more higher stuff in terms of singing?
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:13pm
She is without a doubt a soprano.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:22pm
I've heard mezzo soprano.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:23pm
Sure, I'd say mezzo.
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:27pm
With a strong belt.
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:30pm
Well generally with musical theatre singers, the better your head voice and the more comfortable you are as a soprano, the bigger/better your belt is.
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:40pm
Mezzo with belt.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:43pm
Definitely mezzo, as much as I love Sutton that was a top A at the end of Show Off, which Janine LaManna is now taking up to a top C
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:45pm
OOH! I wanna hear Janine sing that! She has a fabulous voice.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:48pm
You can hear her sing it now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTgHyxNnakU

That top C is impressive.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 08:55pm
Whoa. Thanks so much!

I love that woman. She sounds amazing. That top C does sound great.

Janine's voice is so versatile. She sounds so different from Seussical, to Sweet Charity, to Drowsy. I love it.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 09:10pm
Glad to be of assistance ljay! I love seeing Drowsy in London, so good to have Bob over. The only disappointment about Summer Strallen is not doing a high note at the end of Show Off (she does a middle C and the octave above, staying there), apart from that her dancing is amazing (she can do more than Sutton) and her singing has improved A LOT since the previews. Her chemistry with Elaine Paige is darn funny as well.
nygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/18/07 at 09:17pm
I'd say mezzo, too. Her belt is very carefully placed--it's a twang technique that I've found to be pretty useful, too.

Comparing people is kind of a weird thing to do since each person has his/her own uniqueness to contribute, but I do find Sutton's performance to be stronger than those of her London and current-bwy counterparts.
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 09:19pm
I don't dislike Sutton, but I'm not so much a fan of the twang technique. However, whenever she goes into her head voice in order to hit her mezzo notes, she doesn't seem to bringing the twang technique with her. Which I think is good because it makes her versatile.
bwaymizfit2
Understudy
Posted: 6/18/07 at 09:51pm
She hits a high b-flat at the end of "Could You?" in Little Women, doesn't she?
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:04pm
Janine is taking a high C?
She is such a show-off.
RentBoy86 Profile Photo
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:28pm
She sings some high note at the end of "Astonishing" which seems really high for her cause she screams it more than "sings" it. But that might be how they wanted it on the recording because I've heard her perform it live and it didnt sound like she was "reaching" for the note at all.

Sorry to be a dumba$$, but what is the diff between mezz and just soprano?
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:30pm
In non technical terms - Mezzo is just a lower soprano. In choir it's considered Soprano 2.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:34pm
It's an E flat at the end of Astonishing as opposed to an A in Show Off. It's weird I do agree, the note sounds 'higher' in Astonishing because of the effort (and musically it's more of a climax), even though it is actually lower. I really don't think she screams it at all.
Updated On: 6/18/07 at 10:34 PM
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:37pm
I'm with RentBoy on this one. We did a Little Women workshop at my community theatre, and I was scared of out my mind to sing "Astonishing" but it turned out to have perfect range. Not high at all. But the sheet music you can buy is different at the end from what she does.
SporkGoddess Profile Photo
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:42pm
Range does not a voice type make. Just because you can hit a C6 doesn't mean you're a soprano. And A5-B5 isn't that high.
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
RentBoy86 Profile Photo
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:48pm
I think it's just cause its not as "placed" as her other notes. She seems to always have full control and place every note and that one just seemed very..."Wicked-esque." But I know the feeling, sometimes if you dont set the other notes up right, then you feel like you can't hit that note, when in reality it's not that high for you at all, its just you exhausted all your effort.
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:49pm
I agree, neither Sutton's A in Show Off (and particularly the Eb in Astonishing) are that high. But a C6? I would hardly call that alto or mezzo territory...
ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:54pm
I can hit a C6 and I am definitely not a soprano. I would absolutely call her a mezzo with a strong belt.
Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 10:54 PM
SporkGoddess Profile Photo
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:57pm
Mainly, tessitura. You have to be comfortable singing high notes and staying there. It's like Celia Keenan-Bolger. She can sing beautiful soprano notes, but she is more comfortable singing lower. So I'd classify her as a mezzo soprano. Also, I'd qualify it too on the strength of the high note. From that video, Janine's C6 was not very impressive to me (but I am picky about my high notes.)

These other things are more for opera and classical than MT, but:

- Timbre. Sopranos tend to have a lighter voice. Of course, that's more for opera than musical theatre, but it can still apply.
- Strength of the register. Sopranos tend to have a stronger upper register and a weaker lower one.

Honestly, for MT, I think it's a very grey line because of versatility. Ruthie Henshall is considered a mezzo soprano and can sing pretty darn low, but she played the role of Amalia in She Loves Me. Claire Moore's another good example.
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/18/07 at 11:07pm
Janine's C6 was impressive I thought - it was her starting middle C that seemed a bit flat to me.

Page:

Advertisement