re: Chenoweth & O'Hara's Voice Teacher at OCU Summer Music Program?

WaitingForKathy
Stand-by
Does anyone know if Florence Birdwell, the voice teacher of Kristin Chenoweth & Kelli O'Hara, teaches at the OCU Summer Musical Theater Program? Someone said that she does. Anyone know? Thanks a lot!

Updated On: 2/28/07 at 01:17 PM
WayWicked
Featured Actor
I think Mrs. Birdwell does as her name is on the faculty list for the summer music theater program.

Chenoweth's Teacher at OCU Summer MT program
Happy Happy Joy Joy
Featured Actor
Too bad she didn't teach Chenoweth some diction and poise
BROADWAYBOUND5
Understudy
what the hell does that mean?
are you kidding?
"Any performer dreams to see her name in lights, but the best performer dreams to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a performer..."
DoReMi
Stand-by
It's just an ignorant comment by someone who will never have either of those qualities.
WaitingForKathy
Stand-by
Wow..if she does appear at the OCU summer program, that would make it even better!

I'm thinking of auditioning for their program. Since they're doing "Les Miz", do you think something from "Into The Woods" ("Steps of the Palace") is a good choice?
WSS2
Featured Actor
If you get the chance..GO TO OCU for the summer music theatre program. Def one (if not) the best musical theater summer programs in the nation.
akell19
Swing
I went to OCU last summer, and Mrs. Birdwell did come and do a master class. All the students who got to sing for her were hand selected by the director of the program, but everyone did get to listen. If you check the OCU website, it only has her listed as "tentative", but hopefully she might do a similar master class this summer (she really is remarkable)

As for an audition song. The songs that you sing for the initial audition don't count towards your audition for the show. They hold the auditions for the production in the first few days, and (at least last year) they just have you sing 16 bars, and then there are callbacks for specific parts.

If you get the chance, GO - go won't regret it!
Updated On: 3/4/07 at 05:00 PM
WSS2
Featured Actor
Sounds like you had a good time! My friend said two years ago Birdwell did two days of classes. But she travels around the country so much and works with top composers that I'm surprised she's available at all! She almost didn't' make it 2 yrs ago cause she worked with the cast of "Piazza" and was flown in by Guttell to work with them all.

You're right..go is you can (or..more likely..if you can get in!)
akell19
Swing
Yea. She was initially supposed to do two smaller classes, but they were cancelled and replaced by that massive class on the last day. She is in great demand, but I also think her physical health had alot to do with her availability last summer. So let's just hope that she's doing well, and she'll be there this summer!
stonewall2
Broadway Star
If you're planning on auditioning you'd better get going as the acceptances have already gone out for both sessions and I think they just held their last round of "live" ones in Texas (remember,they've been doing this since Thanksgiving)- and always be careful when auditioning with Sondheim (the general rule is- Don't); most accompanists hate to play it and unless you take your own, they may not even be able to get through the piece. The other poster was correct in saying that they have you "audition" live with short selections the first day or so to get an idea of who is going to fit where. Everyone that has auditioned "live" was taped and then reviewed by the teaching faculty at OCU before being accepted or rejected, but it's a lot different when everyone is actually THERE all together.
My D will be doing the Vocal Arts/Opera session and then stayting for the second of the MT sessions.
"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat
Updated On: 3/4/07 at 09:39 PM
WaitingForKathy
Stand-by
Thanks for the info. I also heard that they are doing CATS at OCU this summer? I thought they were doing Les Miz for both sessions?
stonewall2
Broadway Star
It's Les Mis for BOTH of the high school sessions (I didn't look to see if they have anything for younger kids) but the high school shows are set in stone.
triplethreat101
Broadway Star
ya i went last year! and i completely fell in love with the school. and now im going there next year for Musical Theatre. its the best camp ever. i want to go this summer, but im going on a mission trip. But it was so much fun. we did birdie last year (i was hugo!) but the show isnt the only thing. like you only work on the show at night, so like if you get chorus or something you DIDNT waste your money. the masters classes are for everyone, i learned so much its not even funny.

i want you and nothing but you. miles and piles of you...finally ill have something to think of each morning....
bwaywatchout22
Understudy
im very excited since i got into OCU for muisc in voice!! Does Ms. Birdwell teach both prgrams? Like musicla theatre and voice majors? I hope she does and I'm hoping to auditon for the summer prgoram to get a heads up for the fall
=)
Where's the beef?
triplethreat101
Broadway Star
you should! cause it really helps you get to know the teachers. I walked into the audition and every single person knew me, which made it a WHOLE lot easier!
i want you and nothing but you. miles and piles of you...finally ill have something to think of each morning....
JellyRoll
Swing
Thanks triplethreat and akeller for the inside scoop! :) Reading your posts made me want to go to then OCU program even more!

My dad called OCU the day we found out that Syracuse has been cancelled and they were so amazing. The guy he spoke to was so helpful and told him everything he wanted to know. Now I think my parents want to go! :)

Can either of you tell me if they have daily acting classes? That's one thing I'd like to work on. Also, are they strict? Because a friend of my mom said that the OCU teachers and directors don't play games and students have to work hard and behave. She said she read that they kicked a student out a few years ago who was the lead in a show and who wasn't doing any work and had attitude.
stonewall2
Broadway Star
JellyRoll- here is the summer MT schedule, and no, there isn't a lot of playtime built in- this is a very serious, intense program, not at all like your local high school's summmer program:
7-8:30 Fitness equipments and weight room
8:30 Breakfast
9-Noon Classes (dance,diction, acting,piano, theory)
Noon-2 Lunch Break
2-5 Master Classes
5-7 Dinner Break
7-10 Stagin Rehearsal
11:30 LIGHT'S OUT

Friday and Saturday are the same except that light's out is at midnight. There is no visiting between floors (boys and girls are separated) and there are 2 "outings" planned, which won't happen if rehearsals are not up to where they should be.And yes, I have also heard that they have sent kids home for behavior violations, but don't get the idea that it is boot camp. EVERYONE that I have spoken to or dealt with there has been really wonderful and quite sweet and friendly.

If you're not a hard worker, this isn't the program for you! I also believe that they are pretty full as of the moment as the auditions have been completed (perhaps they may have a space of two open if someone declines.....)
Updated On: 3/10/07 at 05:27 PM
triplethreat101
Broadway Star
ok this is how it went down. hahah i just wanted to say that. im gunna elaborate on the schedule that stonewall just gave

okay in the morning we had classes (dance, music theory, and acting). you were put into classes based on dancing aability (leveling was the first day) the dance was great, acting was awesome, and music theory was hard but i learned SO MUCH. then you have lunch, then masters class, which was split into two groups, you would usually go with a certain voice teacher/improv teacher etc. and for voice they would have one at a time go up and you would sing your song and they would critique you and help you improve (in front of everyone), it seems really scary but we were all so supportive and truly respected each other. you also learn from other people, i took sooo many notes its not even funny. then we had blocking/vocal rehearsal for birdie. it truly was the most amazing experience of my life. i wouldnt change it for anything!

i wish i was going this year!
triplethreat101
Broadway Star
sorry a few more things.

stonewalls right, it wasnt a boot camp, but they are VERY serious about making us the best we can be. and they put a lot of faith in us and expect good behavior and dilligience in return. if you take it seriously and treat it as a learning experience and like any other show you are in, you will have the time of your life, but don't just come expecting to have a blast with free time and not having to work (dont get me wrong i made a hwole lot of friends and had a blast).

it was one of the most incredible and exhausting things in my life! and yes, a lot of people left realizing that they did not want to pursue this as a career. but some left knowing this was the only thing they wanted to do.
stonewall2
Broadway Star
Has anyone participated in the Vocal Arts section? Any comments about it? What is a typical day like and what do they do for a final performance?

BROADWAYWORLD TV