Went to the Bucks County Playhouse...(Mame Review)

oxdreaminxo Profile Photooxdreaminxo Profile Photo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hi everyone. I went to the Bucks County Playhouse today with my drama cast and we saw Mame. It was very good, I liked it more than I thought I would. It was opening night (well, day) and a ton of mishaps happened, so it was very funny.

Mame Dennis- Linda Dano: She can act amazingly well. It was just...superb. However, her singing was...not that great, lol, but got a lot better at the end of the show. But this is her first musical (says the playbill) but she did a great job improving when things messed up. Very nice, a whole bunch of us got her autograph at the end of the show =).

Vera Charles- Anna Stuart: I love her character and she played it amazing. She forgot one of her lines in a scene between her and Auntie Mame and the improv between the two of them was great.

Patrick Dennis (age 10)- Josh DiFerdinando: He was SO good. He's only in 6th grade, too. OUr cast kinda...mobbed him b/c we saw with his mom outside the theatre and he autographed our playbills too. I think we scared him a bit, but he looked really happy talking to us. Very good singing.

Agnes Gooch- Tressa McCallister: Wow. She stole thye show in my opinion. I absolutly loved her character and her singing/acting totally rocked. Wow is all I can really say.

Ralph Devine- Edward Egan: I am suddenly drawing a blank on who he was...damn it! Some reviewer I am...

M. Lindsay Woolsey/ Philip Katz: Thankfully I remember him, lol. He was hysterical, great actor.

Ito- Damian Bartolacci: Funny as hell, loved the character and the actor.

Dwight Babcock- Louis Palena: I loved him throughout the whole show. So funny! Bastard, b-a-s-t-a-r-d: Babcock. =P

Gregor- Matthew Cline: Am I losing my memory? I'm too young for this...

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside- Bob Marcus: For someone with such a long name, I love how his 'real' name is so short, lol. He was very very funny in the whole manicuring scene.

Sally Cato- Aimee Miller: Very very funny. I wish she had more stage time, I really liked her.

Mother Burnside- Skip Avalanche: What a cool name! I didn't see the point of having the mother being played by a man...lol...but it was hysterical. It takes guts to do that!

Patrick Dennis (age 19-29)- Patrick Ludt: Wow. I'm pretty speechless, but wow. He can sing and act! I liked him a lot.

Mrs. Upson- Melissa Hammans: Hysterical.

Mr. Upson- Skip Avalanche: Very annoying, but good getting into character. Also hysterical.

Gloria Upson- Ashley Davidson: The most annoying accent I have ever heard, she does an amazing one b/c during our talk-back she sounded...normal, lol.

Pegeen Ryan- Jessica Brandish: Didn't see too much of her, but I liked what I did see.

All in all, I really liked the show. The messups, though there were a lot...were funny and the improv was hysterical. So, go see it! And besides, New Hope, PA rocks in itself!
A most ingenious paradox.
Raggy Q poo Profile PhotoRaggy Q poo Profile Photo
Raggy Q poo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I live (well, before I came to college in Florida) in PA about 10 minutes away from New Hope/Peddler's Village. It really is an absolute wonderful place with such nice scenery and stores too. And the playhouse is in a very old but well kept building. If you can go, you should!
People like you are the reason I'm on medication.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I once saw a production of Mame and Mother Burnside was played by a man. I always wondered if that was ever done anywhere else.

Sounds like you had a good time.
HumorousConclusion Profile PhotoHumorousConclusion Profile Photo
Thanks for the review. I live about 10 minutes from the Playhouse. I was considering seeing this, but I hadn't read any reviews yet.
new_philosophy_girl Profile Photonew_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aww I love the Bucks County Playhouse!! I live about 30 minutes away from it and I used to go see shows all the time but haven't been there in a while...perhaps I should go sometime soon.
Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643
gavrochegirl Profile Photogavrochegirl Profile Photo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glad you enjoyed it! re: Went to the Bucks County Playhouse...(Mame Review)
What the puck?!
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glad that you enjoyed it.

Damian and Louis (as well as Louis' sister Jill) are three of the most amazing performers I have ever seen.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
Advertisement Advertisement