Will Swenson or Earl Carpenter

PanaroFan111
Swing
Posted: 9/2/14 at 07:21pm
I've had the opportunity to see both amazing actors play Javert this year, I just wanted to see who people like better in the role or if any one saw the limited run of Adam Monley. Love to hear other peoples idea.
getatme
Stand-by
Posted: 9/2/14 at 08:25pm
I saw Swenson several times and each time I was more disappointed than the time before. He's just woefully miscast in the role, IMO. Vocally he's pretty mediocre, and while I think he's a very gifted actor, his acting as Javert is either wooden and non-existent or so over the top it's laughable.

On the other hand, I had the opportunity to see Adam Monley during his brief run and thought he was phenomenal. He has a beautiful voice and I finally understood what people meant when they said that Javert is more than just a cartoon villain. He was layered and complicated and delivered a really fantastic performance.

Haven't had the chance to see Carpenter, but I'm sure he's better than Swenson.
broadwayfan1995
Understudy
Posted: 9/2/14 at 10:07pm
I did not see Earl Carpenter and probably won't be able to, but I did get to see Adam Monley's limited run. I saw Adam once and Will three times. I definitely preferred Adam to Will.
Blockhead24
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/2/14 at 11:41pm
Earl Carpenter
*formerly obsessedjb*

"Make up your mind you want clarity, take what you know and then make it make sense"-N2N
nicnyc
Understudy
Posted: 9/3/14 at 03:24am
I was fortunate enough to have seen both Swenson & Carpenter (though I missed Adam Monley) and I had a definite preference for Earl Carpenter. I thought Carpenter created a more consistent and thorough character, giving the character the gravitas needed - and made a more interesting foil for Ramin's Valjean. I also thought the way Carpenter emotionally unravelled during Javert's Suicide was positively breathtaking - the first time I have ever been really moved by that piece (and I'm old enough to remember seeing Terrence Mann do it, too).
Marway44
Leading Actor
Posted: 9/3/14 at 06:14am
Earl Carpenter, hands down! Will was perfect in Priscilla, but he doesn't have the vocal power for Javert.
prouvaire
Swing
Posted: 9/3/14 at 08:38am
I've seen Will Swenson and Adam Monley and I definitely prefer Adam. He has a gorgeous voice and he gave a really wonderful, nuanced performance. I was really impressed with him and I wish he played Javert full-time.

I haven't seen Earl Carpenter yet, but hopefully I'll be able to catch him later this month.
I'm a starkid
Swing
Posted: 9/3/14 at 02:17pm
Wow no love for Will. I saw Earl in the role and I have to say I thought he was absolutely fantastic and one of the highlights of the show. But I never really got to see Will as Javert so I can't comment on him. However I've heard good things about both and I liked Will at the Tonys.
Movidude742
Stand-by
Posted: 9/4/14 at 10:07am
I love Will and I did like him in this production, but I have to give the edge to Earl Carpenter.
WickdMisrble
Chorus Member
Posted: 9/4/14 at 03:54pm
Earl Carpenter
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/4/14 at 04:02pm
Oh, I have plenty of love for Mr. Swenson. I love seeing him perform, and have seen him in everything he has done for the past few years. However, I wasn't interested in seeing him playing Javert for various reasons. I got to see this show for the first time last night, and it blew me away. Mr. Carpenter was a perfect Javert, his voice was strong, and his suffering was very evident. Mr. Lewis will always be my favorite Javert though!
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.