Late September trip

nanillo17
Swing
Late September trip
Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:08pm
Hi all, I've been getting into quite a broadway/live theater kick over the summer here in Chicago and am looking to go to NYC the last week in September. As of now likely 9/28-10/2, maybe through the weekend, TBD. I've been reading a lot of the forums here recently and doing some "research" and there's many more options than I'll have time to see so wanted to get some opinions/thoughts.

I have 2 must see shows, Hedwig and If/Then, and I'm hoping to catch 5-6 shows total if I can. I've taken out shows that I know are coming to Chicago next year since I'll definitely catch them here. Here are the other shows on my list, any thoughts on which ones I should prioritize if I get the chance? Or should I add one not below?

Cabaret, Gentleman's Guide..., Lady Day..., Beautiful
Not open yet - You Can't Take it With You, It's Only a Play, Found (casting of Barett Weed and Danny Pudi intrigues me)

Since I'll be there on a Monday, should I catch Chicago, Phantom or go off Broadway for Pageant?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Broadwaygirl202
Understudy
Late September trip
Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:31pm
I think Beautiful is a must-see! I saw it in July and it was incredible! I don't know if it will tour and it has been running since last November I think so that means that Jessie's contract will be ending soon, unless she stays with the show a little bit longer. Her performance is breathtaking. I haven't seen any of the other shows, but I would also recommend, unless you have seen it already, Matilda because it is an incredible production.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Late September trip
Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:40pm
^^If you are there for a weekend and you are thinking of Matilda as suggested above, just note they will be changing their Sunday schedule for September and I think the first week in October. There will be two Sunday shows... 1:30 and a 6:30 (they have omitted the Wed matinee for a short time)...so you could maybe squeak in an extra show.

But Definitely Beautiful and Gentleman's Guide if you can manage. They are so worth it.

Updated On: 8/26/14 at 10:40 PM
broadwayboy972
Chorus Member
Late September trip
Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:42pm
I recently saw Gentleman's Guide, and let me tell you... that is one fun night of theatre. It has a great score, great direction, and great tech elements. And also Jefferson Mays is hilarious as the D'Ysquith family... such a brilliant show!
brdway411
Broadway Star
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 01:39am
Unless you are a die hard Idina fan I would skip If/Then and see something else. It's pretty bad. They cancel the show when they know she is not available or able to do the show. The only reason the show is still playing is because of her. If you are a TDF member get tickets that way, they are only $45.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 10:26am
If/Then has never canceled a show, only rescheduled them within the same week.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
JPeterman
Chorus Member
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 02:29pm
I have seen all of the shows on your list that are already playing, and most definitely Geentleman's Guide is not to be missed. Beautiful is also very good. I would second the suggestion of Matilda, it was much, much better than I expected.

I also would see Phantom on the "Dark" Monday you are in town. Les Mis' schedule is also more unique than the standard show schedules so you may find a Les Mis performance at an unusual time that fits your schedule. I have seen this new Les Mis twice and it is excellent.

Like you, I definitely want to see You Can't Take It With You and It's Only A Play. I also am excited to see Side Show and Curious Incident. Have fun on your trip!
LYLS3637
Featured Actor
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 02:39pm
Well since brdway411 takes every opportunity to bash on If/Then, I'll gladly tell you to stick your guns and see If/Then. If you're planning on seeing 5-6 shows, If/Then should definitely be one of them.

I wasn't blown away by Beautiful. Jessie Mueller is stellar in every single way but, to me, the show itself wasn't that interesting, which is such a shame because Carole King has had an incredibly fascinating life and career.
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 04:18pm
I HATED If/Then as well, so brdwy411 isn't alone in that sentiment.

I do agree with you LYLS3637 that aside from the cast (I liked the cast), the material for Beautiful was bland.

Go see "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder"-it's a lot of fun
I highly recommend "Lady Day"
and there's "Hedwig" as your third musical-excellent choice

I think you should catch a couple of plays (seeing "You Can't Take it With You" this evening so I'll report back (I'll edit here)). I like the idea of "Found" and do have tickets but I can't report on that.

Those are my thoughts. (I think Phantom is a good bet for the Monday you'll be here.)
brdway411
Broadway Star
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 04:23pm
Well, since I am "bashing" shows skip Matilda too. It's a horrible mess. They took all the heart out of the show. Saw it in London and NYC.
Thought Gents guide was just okay
Loved Beautiful
loved Les MisÚrables
loved Phantom
go see Pippin

Updated On: 8/27/14 at 04:23 PM
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 04:55pm
It does seem superfluous to bash If/Then once someone says they already have it listed as one of their must-see shows for their trip...
formerly oasisjeff on here.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Late September trip
Posted: 8/27/14 at 05:04pm
"Since I'll be there on a Monday, should I catch Chicago, Phantom or go off Broadway for Pageant? "

I would recommend Phantom because Norm Lewis is absolutely phenomenal in the part. All these years later, it's a must see.
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
nanillo17
Swing
Late September trip
Posted: 8/28/14 at 12:51pm
Thanks all for the recommendations/comments.

Gentleman's is now a must and Beautiful hot on its tail. Beautiful is coming to Chicago next year and there are rumors/hopes that Jessie might come with it as a "homecoming" but I don't want to risk not seeing her so will likely catch it in NYC.

I'm watching If/Then mainly because of Idina so I know what I'm walking into with the show not being too good.

So unless things change or I end up staying longer I might already have my "priority" list. - Hedwig, If/Then, Gentleman's..., You Can't Take It With You, Phantom, Beautiful. I'm going to have a Broadway overload!
sharona39
Chorus Member
Late September trip
Posted: 8/28/14 at 02:08pm
Keep an open mind with regards to If/Then, Idina was my pull, but the show sold me...I found the show to be extremely thought provoking with an incredible score. I listen to it constantly. Excellent cast! Let us know your take! Have fun!