Bullets Fiasco with Woody Allen, Investors

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/woody-allen-sis-bullets-crossfire-article-1.1914411

The description of Woody Allen's behaviour seems quite consistent with his letter to Elaine Stritch.

The whole outcome/fiasco of this show is such a stark contrast from Michael Riedel's highly embarrassing early predictions:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/14/bullets-over-broadway-looking-like-the-killer-hit-of-spring/
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
I'm still surprised this couldn't find an audience. It's a fun show.
Brick
Broadway Legend
I'm sure this is completely overblown.

Who's happy to have a flop? But I'm sure they're fine and they're already on his next several films.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
It's surprising that Schlossberg et al. didn't insist on the changes they felt were needed, or just take their dough and walk. This was not their first rodeo. Woody's track record in the theater is not inspiring, his last hit having been Play It Again, Sam in 1969. I guess, like so many others, they felt that the title and Stro would carry the day.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"Woody's track record in the theater is not inspiring, his last hit having been Play It Again, Sam in 1969."

Err... You make it sound like he's been writing play after play for decades without success... he only wrote one play in the 80s and one one-act in 2011 between Play It Again and Bullets.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
There's no substance in that article.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
"...he only wrote one play in the 80s and one one-act in 2011 between Play It Again and Bullets."

A career total of 4 full-length and 6 one-acts, 2 of which were considered hits. Sorry but that wouldn't ispire me to throw $15M at his new project.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Good thing no one asked you.
PianoMann
Leading Actor
No matter what the circumstances or creative team, investing in a Broadway show, especially a musical, is a huge financial risk, and these investors should have realized the likelihood of closing at a loss.

Obviously, nobody expected Bullets Over Broadway to be this large of a flop, but even largely successful musicals close at a loss...

I'm still so sad that the show never found an audience. Although I thought it was only "okay" after the first time I saw it, I loved loved it when I revisited a few months later.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
I adored Bullets. Easily my favorite show from last season.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"Sorry but that wouldn't ispire me to throw $15M at his new project."

What are you going to spend all your vast millions on?
formerly oasisjeff on here.
followspot
Broadway Star
Because the Daily News never prints baseless gossip.
"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."