Times Square Visitor Center Gone

Myron
Stand-by
Posted: 8/15/14 at 01:29pm
So disappointed to see that wonderful Times Square Visitor Center suddenly shuttered. What will happen to the Times Square Ball, the Broadway musical costumes, the displayed Broadway memorabilia and that wonderful Embassy Theatre? Anybody know why it closed? Probably the rent was increased again! It was a nice quiet place to rest while strolling with crowds down Broadway.
brdway411
Broadway Star
Posted: 8/15/14 at 01:32pm
Everything there (which was not much) was all on loan. So nothing will happen to it. It will be returned to it's owners.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 01:54pm
It used to be a movie theater. Doubt it will be retained in its current state.It will probably be gutted.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 01:59pm
It closed because hardly anyone went in there anymore - most of the tenants moved out in 2012 due to a sharp decrease in visitors. It would have shut down sooner but was being used as the entrance to the Actor's Equity building while the regular 46th street entrance was under construction.
amoni2
Featured Actor
Posted: 8/15/14 at 02:06pm
Hopefully it will be used for something and not just boarded up. They can't demolish it. In 1987, the interior of the Embassy 1 Theatre was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7212
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 02:53pm
Not aware it was landmarked. No idea what will happen to it.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 04:09pm
"Hopefully it will be used for something and not just boarded up."

That seems an unlikely solution given its location.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 07:47pm
The only free Bathroom in Times Square!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 07:50pm
the few times I've been in there, there was only a hand full of people in there. The few workers always seemed beyond bored.
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 07:58pm
I thought Seth Rudetsky did his show from there?
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:14pm
Seth Rudetsky's "Live On Broadway" show moved out in 2011.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:30pm
Really? No one told me.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:35pm

I went to Seth's show a couple of times. One: with Doug Hodge and another with Bryan Batt and Seth's bestie (he was in Gods and Monsters).

Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:43pm

Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:43pm
It quietly closed over a month ago. I think the fact that no one has made a deal out of it speaks volumes.
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:44pm

This was in the middle of the visitor's center.

FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 08:45pm
Years ago, it used to be really good. They had lots of information, brochures, discount coupons, a few vendors with small stands, seating where you could relax for a few minutes, etc. I even remember years ago when you could get tickets for TV show tapings and they even used to have 3 or 4 computers you could use for free web access (those have been gone a while). I was last in there in May and it was a vacant shell with one bored looking guy who basically had no interest in helping anyone with anything. Did all the good stuff leave because people stopped using it or did people stop using it because all the good stuff left? I don't know the answer to that one but I suspect the latter.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 09:05pm
Lost its relevance when they stopped giving out twofers

Updated On: 8/15/14 at 09:05 PM
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/15/14 at 09:21pm
The only free Bathroom in Times Square!

The one at the Marriott is significantly nicer.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/16/14 at 01:17am
Where is the actual "movie theater" part of it? I'm assuming that part is gone? It's a gorgeous lobby. Maybe they can turn it into a restaurant or some cool bar?
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/16/14 at 04:32am
The lobby was the theater. It was a small theater amongst its bigger brothers who are now long gone.
Movidude742
Stand-by
Posted: 8/16/14 at 12:48pm
I thought Seth Rudetsky did his show from there?

About every other week he comments on his current show Seth Speaks that people keep asking him about it and they haven't been there in 3 years.

As I recall they wanted to use the space for more displays and didn't want to have to set up seats every week for the show . . . they didn't realize that losing that led to a few hundred people stopped coming in at all immediately and it immediately started to decline after.

The gift shop shuttered pretty soon after and it just got sad.
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/16/14 at 01:03pm
Their touchscreens with interactive history maps were really well-done for that sort of thing.

Updated On: 8/16/14 at 01:03 PM
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/16/14 at 01:11pm
Why not make it a performance space a la 54 Below.
ImpossiblePrincess
Swing
Posted: 8/16/14 at 02:02pm
Oh no. This was the only place I could find free wifi in Times Sq.

Updated On: 8/16/14 at 02:02 PM
Marianne2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/16/14 at 02:06pm
I forget when I first went, but it was never interesting in the times I went.
"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Page: