Comscore

Into The Woods Upsetting Disney Purists

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
Broadway Legend
This reads like it should be in "The Onion" but unfortunately this girl is all too serious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/disney/11003566/What-is-Disney-doing-The-happy-ending-is-the-best-bit.html

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Fingers crossed there’s still time for a new director’s cut, in which things turn out all right.

LMFAO
....but the world goes 'round
Emobacca2
Chorus Member
Tumblr is leaking
 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Broadway Legend
Wow, someone should get over themselves.
AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Legend
HA!
I was previously known as Mr. Nowak (Joined: 5/20/13).
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
She's an idiot.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Funny, I thought Into the Woods did end happily. It just doesn't end the way you'd expect a fairy tale to end.
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
And this is why Disney shouldn't be doing this movie. Everyone, outside of theatre, will think it's 100% Disney, "trying to screw up their movies in some weird crossover/fan fiction"

(And yes, I read the article)

Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
Updated On: 7/31/14 at 08:27 PM
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
It's evident that she has not seen the show and doesn't know the story. Sounds like all she is exposed to is her dad's movies. After all.
Just give the world Love.
JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
Broadway Legend
She totally has not seen the show. Into the Woods has an ending that is so much more then a happy ending. It is a real life ending.
"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
This is easily fixed- leave at intermission.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Oops. Edited. Wrong thread.

Well, this is clearly why nepotism isn't a good thing. Go back to jr. college, Ms. Curtis.
Updated On: 7/31/14 at 09:29 PM
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/31/14 at 09:34 PM
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Sorry, ljay, I posted that comment in the wrong thread. I moved it to the trailer thread.
someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
Leading Actor
We'll, Disney is upsetting Sondheim purists as well.
“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``
ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
Broadway Star
What a moron.
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Considering we have an ITW movie thread with 2500+ posts debating a movie no one even saw yet, seems right that other contingents can do the same...
ShakinBaconGirl
Broadway Star
But those 2500 posts have seen the show. I wouldn't mind the article so much if her reasons why she felt that way weren't so lame.
ShakinBaconGirl
Broadway Star
But those 2500 posts have seen the show. I wouldn't mind the article so much if her reasons why she felt that way weren't so lame.
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Whilst she clearly has missed the point that the musical is a separate commodity and its an adaption of that, she is raising a valid issue that I think the movie will come up against. The fact that its Disney doing it, its hardcore audience will not like the darker side it takes with fairytales. This could be a hard sell, despite the cast, its hardly Les Miserables in terms of being known to the general movie going public
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
She's only 19. She will get over it.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
I don't know about that SNAFU. I saw The Fox and the Hound when I was a tyke and it scarred me for life.
....but the world goes 'round
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
She's only 19.

She sounds like she's seven.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
After Eight
Broadway Legend
Bravo, bravo, a million bravos to Scarlett Curtis!

In this miserable age of lies, perversity, subterfuge, and subversion, she hits the nail right on the head.

I hope the moviegoing public will be as miffed as she, and stay away in droves.

There's only one comment in which she errs: "The movie is adapted from a brilliant stage musical." Alas, despite her acumen, even she is not immune to propagandized falsehoods.

Thank heavens we still have original cast recordings of Oklahoma!, Kiss Me Kate, My Fair Lady, et al, as a safe haven from all this.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Legend
"The Fox and the Hound"...I LOVED the Fox and the Hound and it's great message.

Obviously she missed Bambi too...

It's kind of limiting to Disney to say they can only produce movies with happy endings..and ridiculous that a well known piece should have to change their ending to fit some mold.

Of course, there is an entire contingent of people that criticize the happy endings of Disney as being unrealistic and for setting kids up for inevitable disappointment. Nothing will make everyone happy.

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement