Comscore

Saw 5 shows in 3 days!

Broadwaygirl202
Understudy
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 02:54pm
So this past week, my mom and I saw 5 shows in 3 days, Tues-Thurs. We are from Louisville and wanted to see as many shows as we could since we can't afford to go to NYC very much. Tuesday night we saw Beautiful and it was my favorite show of the trip! We had two understudies (Sara King was on for Cynthia Weil and I was a little bummed and there was an understudy for the character of Marilyn). We sat front row of the mezz which was a perfect view. Jessie Mueller was amazing as Carole King. We stage doored and about 10 or 11 people came out including Jessie and they were all so nice and I got a pic with her. There were maybe 20 or 25 people waiting at the stage door. The next morning we had decided to try the Matilda lottery and my mom was the 5th or 6th person called! We were so happy and we had orchestra seats row K on the left side which was a perfect view. We didn't miss anything and the show was incredible. Ava was on as Matilda and she was absolutely spot on. I loved how some of the actors would exit or enter from the audience as well and towards the end. Lesli Margarita (I'm not sure how to spell it exactly) and a couple other actors scared my mom, who was sitting on the end, when they ran by to enter onto the stage. That night we had tickets to see Newsies and were in the second to last row of the orchestra, which were ok seats (we had gotten them with our bus tour group, so we didn't have choice on seats) and the show was amazing, but the mezz overhang blocked our view a couple of times. Luckily, we will be seeing this show on tour and we have front row tickets for it. The next day we had decided to rush for Mamma Mia and got there earlier than we had planned, around 8:15 am. There were already about 5 people there. I sat and chatted with the girl and her mom in front of us. They had never seen the show, but I had seen it once on Broadway at the Winter Garden and twice on tour. We were able to get rush tickets, since we got there so early because there were about 15 people behind us by the time the box office opened. We were on the right side of the orchestra in row e and they were also great seats. The sound was awful because we could barely hear from where we were sitting and I can't imagine the people in the mezz hearing the actors very well. Then we had gotten tickets to Aladdin with the bus tour group and we were in row L ( I think. I don't have my tickets in front of me at the moment) and they were great seats on the left side of the orchestra. The leg room is terrible in that theater, even in the orchestra (we had seen Mary Poppins there about 7 years ago and sat in the balcony which had no leg room). It is a beautiful theater though and I loved the show. James Iglehart got a standing ovation after Friend Like Me and he was spot on. The other leads were also amazing.
SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
Broadway Star
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 03:01pm
Don't know how old you are but you must have an amazing Mum to share your love of theatre-enjoy the years and shows ahead of you.
FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 03:20pm
Love your enthusiasm. Glad you had a great trip.
Broadwaygirl202
Understudy
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 03:36pm
SweetLips, I am 24 and took this trip to celebrate my recent college graduation and I have been obsessed with theater for a long time. I only recently got obsess with Broadway when I took a trip with my high school theater group when I was 16 and ever since I knew I had to go back. I did go back for my 19th birthday and haven't been back until last week. Thanks FishermanBob.
nolegrl88
Swing
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 04:14pm
Sounds like an awesome trip! I saw Beautiful on Thursday evening and had the same understudies. The actress who plays Cynthia Weil must have been on vacation this week or something. I thought Sara King did an awesome job though, if I didn't see the casting board, I wouldn't have even known she was an understudy.
Broadwaygirl202
Understudy
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/20/14 at 04:38pm
nolegrl88 I feel the same way about Sara King. She was incredible and after awhile seeing her, I forgot she was the understudy.
VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
Broadway Star
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/21/14 at 02:28am
Sounds like you had an amazing trip and I love your enthusiasm. My only question, why would you come all that way to NYC to see Mamma Mia if you had already seen it three times? There are so many great shows both On and Off Broadway...I'm just glad you had such a great trip. Cue Abba.
Broadwaygirl202
Understudy
Saw 5 shows in 3 days!
Posted: 7/21/14 at 02:59am
Well the main reason for seeing Mamma Mia was that it was one of the 3 shows that had Thursday matinees. It is one of our favorite musicals and I also wanted to see Judy McLane as Donna (who I had seen as Tonya 5 years ago). Also it had been over 3 years since the last time we saw it on tour. I figured that rush would be pretty easy to get having checked the rush report prior. We had no interest in seeing Phantom and Cinderella is touring. We love the show and the last time we saw it in the Winter Garden theatre 5 years ago.