Shuberts acquire New World Stages
Posted: 7/17/14 at 03:06pm
Wow.
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 03:08pm
Will it be undergoing any sort of renovations? Will they change the name? It's a smart idea. I like the idea of taking some of the bigger mega shows like Mamma Mia and moving them into an off-Broadway home.
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 03:14pm
I wonder if all the current employees will be able to remain non union.
<-----craves juicy pizza
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 03:44pm
What a bad idea! The Shuberts have little creativity when it comes to developing new material and the past experiences with the Variety Arts (what, you ask?) and the Little Shubert show that their booking skills off-Broadway are less than ideal.

The Shubert Organization is a very large fish in a very small pond and their experience with the real world is negligible. They are not known for being able to keep visionary people.

Only if they start a free-standing subsidiary with a independent head would I have any faith that this New World venture will be an artistic or financial success.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 04:08pm
New World has more of a sense of branding, for what it's worth, than the Little Shubert has had in a long time (if ever.) It's also a better location, if you ask me, though I prefer the Little Shubert as a space, actually.

Now the question is, how will the producers MAMMA MIA! or CHICAGO feel about downsizing theatres yet again?
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 05:40pm
'. I like the idea of taking some of the bigger mega shows like Mamma Mia and moving them into an off-Broadway home'

No way, let the venue keep bringing in new works like Heathers rather than three dying Broadway musicals, it's just taking prime space away from new creative shows and turning the venue in to a museum.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 05:43pm
Do they still have the Little Shubert? Surprised none of the shows - Peter and the Starcatcher, Quartet - moved to that space. It's a nice sized house and a pretty decent location.
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/17/14 at 07:19pm
"No way, let the venue keep bringing in new works like Heathers rather than three dying Broadway musicals, it's just taking prime space away from new creative shows and turning the venue in to a museum."

It takes money to run such a business. The majority of new shows and plays flopped, while the shows that came from broadway brought and are bringing home the bacon.
<-----craves juicy pizza
Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
Leading Actor
Posted: 7/18/14 at 09:05am
True, but for more diversity of shows, making New World (I still call it Dodger) Stages a rest home for B'way shows that have passed their primes means 5 fewer spaces for something new and interesting.

If a tired Mamma Mia was playing there, Heathers never would have gotten a shot.

They may not premiere as many new shows as they used to, but they still do provide space for new pieces more than the Shuberts might.
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/18/14 at 10:01am
Why would they move Mamma Mia to a substantially smaller house when it's doing good business in a 1,100 seat theatre?
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/18/14 at 12:23pm
Let's not start rumors! I'm not saying it is moving. It's doing fine where it is. I'm just saying, I think the potential for something like that to happen is cool.

Advertisement Advertisement