Jefferson Mays' scheduled vacation, 8/5-10

wyo2ny
Chorus Member
I just received an email from Telecharge noting that Mays will be out during a date for which I've purchased GG tix. Has anyone here seen his understudy? Would you recommend exchanging for when he's in the following week?
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Has Mays even missed a show?

Edited to add: He has missed a show. If Don Stephenson is still the understudy, I wouldn't hesitate to see him. He has theater credits a mile long.

Wall Street Journal article (subscribers only):

A Sickening Season on Broadway
Updated On: 7/9/14 at 11:47 AM
The Josh
Leading Actor
I was wondering the same thing, I have tickets that week too.
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Can you find out who the understudy is?
oncemorewithfeeling2
Featured Actor
According to playbill vault, Jefferson's stand-by is Greg Jackson and the understudy is Price Walden.
wyo2ny
Chorus Member
I think I'll just exchange. I've been really interested to see Mays' performance.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Yeah, if you have the option to exchange, I'd definitely wait to see Mays. But if you are only in town for that one day, etc., then you'll probably be fine with his understudy.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
If I'm not mistaken, Mays has been out at least once before. I don't know who went on though.
wyo2ny
Chorus Member
We'll be in town for longer. I'm just trying to consolidate our theater days as my partner doesn't have the same affinity for time spent at the theater and is anxious to see many other things in the city.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
The understudies performed "It's Better With a Man" at Broadway in Bryant Park:

http://youtu.be/oUjI63JX92E
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
darpierce
Swing
Mays is a true star and it was a travesty that he did not win the Tony this year. He is a consummate actor, with tremendous range. If the world was fair, he would have Nathan Lane's career! No disrespect to his standby, try your best to see Mays.