Comscore

The Critics Rave,, You Go --- It's Horrible!

After Eight
Broadway Legend
We all know the deal. The nefarious critics see some pretentious and/or hateful and/ or miserable and/or boring show, then heap praise upon it knowing that people will be induced to buy tickets and then hate it. You are among those people, as am I. How many times have you been burned?

My list is long:

Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park With George
Passion
Parade
Title of Show
Fun Home
The Flick
Circle Mirror Transformation
Mr. Burns
Once
Detroit
Book of Mormon
Mother* With Hat
Jerusalem
Clybourne Park
Venus in Fur
All in the Timing
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson....

And many others I'm glad I can't recall at this moment

Updated On: 7/5/14 at 07:10 AM
Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
Featured Actor
I never really got the hype of Rent. I couldn't connect to any of the characters (except Angel) and the score just seemed so... one note.
"I know what a show-stopping song is. I know what you get a Tony for. Neither of those songs were it. And Sheryl Lee Ralph didn't even get nominated. Even with the new material. You know as an artist when somebody's giving you material that will stop a show. Give me the material. I know how to stop a show." - Tonya Pinkins Blocked: mjohnson2
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Rent
Andrew Jackson
Once
COPENHAGEN - One word BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
reNt
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
wonkit
Broadway Legend
True. But I can usually find something I like, even when I am bored/disappointed. I loved the setting for JERUSALEM. I liked the costumes in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY. What I love about live theater is the ability to direct my attention anywhere I want, and so find something worthwhile if the show in the center ring isn't quite what I had hoped. But most of all, for me, is discovering an actor who was previously unknown to me. Example - seeing the non-Jewish FIDDLER revival and noting Robert Petkoff. A young Alfred Drake, I thought. Duly noted for future reference!
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Passion, Once, The Book Of Mormon, Memphis, Speed The Plow (original with Madonna)

Updated On: 7/5/14 at 08:53 AM
teresa2
Stand-by
Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park with George, Once, Andrew Jackson, Cats, Hedwig. I know there are others, but can't recall them at the moment.
chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Those nefarious, deceptive and dare I say downright evil critics coerced me into seeing Hello, Dolly!, My Fair Lady, Cinderella, No, No, Nanette, Mlle. Modiste, Babes in Toyland, Dear World, Milk and Honey, Tenderloin, The Happiest Girl in the World, Little Mary Sunshine, the list goes on. How truly dreadful they all were, each and every one of them. Those critics deserve to be punished. PUNISHED. I say we stop going to the theatre and spend the time we save spewing hate onto the internet. Who's with me!

IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
Broadway Star
Peter and The Star Catcher, Les Mis, Phantom, Lion King, I loved Matilda but thought Ben Brantly over did that review.

Updated On: 7/5/14 at 09:04 AM
Wickedlover56 Profile Photo
Wickedlover56
Understudy
Billy Elliot
In the Heights
Pippin
Matilda
The Lion King
South Pacific
The Bridges of Madison County (the score was underwhelming as everyone figuratively had orgasms over it and will never stop calling it perfect)
ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
Broadway Star
you really didn't like In The Heights, Billy Elliot, Matilda and Pippin
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
I did not get Bloody,Bloody at all. I just wanted it to end.
didn't Brantley rave over Lyristrata Jones? God, that was an awful show. But an awful that became entertaining.
#sadandtransparent
iluvtheatertrash Profile Photo
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Arcadia. Zzzzzz.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Lord, Arcadia was a snooze fest.
#sadandtransparent
rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
How could I forget the Lion King, even worse than reNt
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
skylight2
Understudy
The Book of Mormon, Hedwig
Wickedlover56 Profile Photo
Wickedlover56
Understudy
Billy Eliot - The score (except for a few songs) is very dull and forgettable, the dancing is very overrated, and the story, while moving, is also cliche and predictable. I
In the Heights - The book is predictable and the show ends suddenly with everyone's problems being fixed by the lotto. The first act is very slow with way too many "I Want" songs. The show only really works with the right cast.
Matilda - I liked the show ok, but was underwhelmed as I expected to really be wowed with all the raves it got. The show is good, but I was just unimpressed.
Pippin - Still don't get the love for it. The only reason people like if is because of the spectacle. The same thing that people make fun of, and the show gets raves even though other shows with spectacle are a million times better! The score is very uneven, with some gems and some real clunkers. The spectacle completely overshadows the material and sometimes has no integration to the plot. The show has no real meaning. Is it a cautionary tale? Is everything a metaphor? What is the show saying to us?
Emmaloucbway
Broadway Star
I second Lysistrata Jones. Not sure if most critics gave it a rave, but I remember Brantley did.

KathyNYC2
Broadway Legend
I am underwhelmed by Rent and Cats in general...no matter the production.

While I didn't think they were AWFUL, I did not think that Pippin, Lion King or Once were "all that". I am also most baffled by Pippin - which I have seen a number of times over the years and while this production was creative, I didn't find the urge to jump up and down in raves either and had no interest in seeing it more than once (which is unusual for me, I love to see shows more than once in general).

Billy Elliot and Matilda were victims of too much hype...IMO.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
Broadway Star
"Once" was enough!
RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
Broadway Star
<--------Curtain call, opening night of A Little Night Music, Dec. 13, 2009
Updated On: 7/5/14 at 10:25 AM
iluvtheatertrash Profile Photo
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Lysistrata Jones reigns supreme as the worst musical I have ever seen. It was pure torture. And considering I saw In My Life that's saying something. I'll add that to the list. i will never understand Brantley's love for it.

Peter and the Starcatcher is another one that I just didn't understand all the love for.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
After Eight, you're always a breath of fresh air in this very tired board! So kudos for the great thread:

I am sure I'm forgetting some but here it is:

Sweeney Todd
Once
Book of Mormon
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson
The Producers
Movin' Out
The Lion King
Matilda
Bullets Over Broadway
Sleep No More
Spamalot
Drowsy Chaperone
Altar Boyz
Avenue Q
Brooklyn
Bonnie and Clyde
Big Fish
Hedwig
Gypsy
The Pajama Game
In The Heights
Pacific Overtures

I want to state that maybe not every critic raved about those particular shows, but I do remember reading a rave or two over them.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Who the hell raved about Brooklyn other than children on BWW?

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Currently running:

The City of Conversation
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
Broadway Legend
I've been going to the theater seriously for the past two or three years only, but Once and Peter and the Starcatcher leap to mind. They weren't horrible, by any means, but I felt they didn't live up to the hype.
Updated On: 7/5/14 at 11:10 AM

Page: