Cybill Shepherd Dreams Of Starring in

Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend

I don't see her as Annie Oakley. She's right...she is too old for the role. But, she would make a fantastic Vera Charles in "Mame". She could team up again with Christine Baranski (who has played the role of Mame Denis). Can you imagine that pairing/reunion? I would think they'd love the chance to work together again, right? (cough, cough)

Cybill Shepherd

Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
Updated On: 6/26/14 at 06:09 PM
candydog2
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/26/14 at 07:01pm
I would imagine that the opposite way around, with Shepherd as Mame and Baranski as Vera. Although perhaps Baranski might capture Mame's "outrageous" quality a little better.
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/14 at 07:33pm
I can't imagine Christine Baranski playing second fiddle (again) to Cybill Shepherd. But this pairing could work, if any remaining animosity could be put aside.
Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
theatregeek6
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/26/14 at 07:35pm
What a great idea. Baranski as Mame and Shepherd as Vera. I will buy tickets to that all day
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/14 at 07:54pm
Cybill is too old for Annie. I was hoping that the far superior Reba McEntire in the last revival had pulled the role back to age appropriate. It really shouldn't be attempted by a woman over 40.

Neither Cybill or Christine is right for Mame. They are both Veras. Mame needs someone who can project warmth.

If you want to team Cybill and Christine back up, James Kirwood's "Legends" needs a viewing. Both are perfect for that play.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
theatregeek6
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/26/14 at 08:12pm
Gotham.

Brilliant!
Jarethan
Understudy
Posted: 6/27/14 at 12:26am
I saw Christine Baranski in MAME in DC, and I can unequivocally state that she is wrong for MAME. I kept on thinking how miscast she was, but how great a Vera she would be. At the same time, I was watching Harriet Harris butcher Vera, which intensified my desire for Christine to be Vera, and someone warmer be MAME.

But this thread is about Cybill Shepard, who has probably missed her chance, given her age, to play Annie Oakley or MAME. I think she would have been a good MAME 10 - 15 years ago. I don't think she ever would have been a good Annie Oakley...she is too sophisticated for Annie Oakley. Not sure she has the voice, although I have heard her sing in the past and was pleasantly surprised.
Updated On: 6/27/14 at 12:26 AM