ON THE TOWN Marquee is Up!

FOAnatic
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 08:20am
Wishing this show lots of luck.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 6/25/14 at 08:20 AM
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 08:47am
I LOVE it!

Absolutely love it.
....but the world goes 'round
Adair Haywind
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:02am
Looks great, but why haven't they changed the name of the theatre?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:17am
I imagine ATG, the new owners haven't gotten to changing it yet, there's still plenty of time for them to do it.
JayG 2
Stand-by
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:41am
Let's get that Foxwoods branding off that marquee and put Lyric up there! where it belongs.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:02am
It's gonna be fun in the winter having ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, who's branding looks similarly old-fashioned, right next door to ON THE TOWN.

Think the ticket takers at those two shows are gonna get tired of clarifying which theatre is which?
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 12:03pm
Looks cheap (to me).
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 12:29pm
Love it.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 01:03pm
Was invited to a sneak peek of the show. Looking forward to it.
Just give the world Love.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 02:38pm
Curious to see if you like the sneak peek as much as I liked the Berkshire production last summer. Will there be much dancing in the sneak peek?
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 04:59pm
It looks good to me! Simple, but classy. Kind of a B-version of Anything Goes title.
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 07:25pm
I'm so looking forward to seeing this. A traditional production of a classic musical without star-focused casting, a 30-piece orchestra, and dance sequences. Plus, I love that the theatre is now named the Lyric Theatre, which is such a classic-sounding name. I'm really looking forward to such a traditional offering, and here's hoping that it becomes successful in that barn of a theatre. It sounds like you'll be transported to a different time.
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 08:05pm
I have fears that that "barn" of the theater will spell doom for the show, no matter how good it is (and I'm definitely rooting for its success). It's too damn big and unwieldy for this kind of show.
BroadwayEd
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 08:55pm

Eh. Nothing is too big for Leonard Bernstein. His music could fill the entire cities.

On the Town is big. It's the worry-warts who got small.

http://youtu.be/DUh8Yk0RgQw

yr pal,
joey

uncageg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:09pm
They had the entire 28 piece orchestra at the peek. I have never been a big fan of the score but they sold me this evening. Can't wait to see the full production. Saw 4 numbers.
Just give the world Love.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:09pm
Was at the sneak peek today. Was really special. They featured half the cast, the entire 28-piece orchestra, interviews with Phyllis Newman and Leonard Bernstein's daughter, Jamie.

They did the New York New York, I Can Cook, So Long Baby (I think) and one other song I'm blanking. Having a good portion of the cast they did several dance-heavy numbers, and it was really wonderful overall. Just having the entire orchestra there was magic, and so was the choreography. It was so much fun. I really hope it can fill the space (and the seats) of the Lyric, because it looks like it'll be a real fun show.

Set your TiVo! Joshua Bergasse and the show are going to be featured on So You Think You Can Dance on July 9th.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:25pm
I hope this production can keep the pace up. The last revival dragged horribly and parts were boring.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 09:39pm
I mean they'd really have to screw it up with all the raves the thing has gotten recently.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 10:06pm
Who played the Ballet teacher? (Opel's role)
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/14 at 11:27pm
Wasn't Alysha Umphress's "I Can Cook Too" terrific?
yr pal,
joey

goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/27/14 at 12:36pm
I love the movie. The very prescence of Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Jules Munshun, Betty Garret, Vera Ellen and Alice Pierce (Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched) makes the movie a delight....even if they threw out a lot of Bernstein's wonderful score.

I have seen two on stage productions of the show.
One with Bernadette Peters, Donna McKechnie and Kurt Peterson directed by Ron Field.
It was kind of a dud. The book was so dated and dull.

Then I saw a production at Broward Stage Door.
The book was kind of a dud. Most of the audience and I just sort of lost interest a quarter of the way through....again.

Having loved the movie, I am sure there maybe a special way to present this show that it works. So.. I will go see it. I just hope the third on stage version holds my interest. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

It will be an uphill battle to fill that theatre but maybe they have something spectacular in mind to fill it. I hope so.
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/27/14 at 02:02pm
They seriously need to change the marquee for the Lyric, as it is one of the most unworkable marquees for posters on Broadway. Just look at the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang marquee or the 42nd Street one.
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
eperkins
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/27/14 at 03:45pm
And, of course, it all started out as the ballet "Fancy Free."

Fancy Free
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/27/14 at 03:53pm

Whoa, was just confirming that this is the show I saw Lea Delaria in last time it was on Broadway and was surprised to see Jesse Tyler Ferguson in it as well... didn't realize I saw him in that show!

formerly oasisjeff on here.