Violet Question

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 07:54pm
Finally saw it last night. Got great TDF seat - 5 th row orchestra. Found it entertaining but not earth shaking.

This originally played off broadway. It was 2 acts. It came to broadway in a new production that was 1 act. There was obviously work done to reduce it from 2 acts to one. Add to that the fact it never played broadway prior to this current production, How than could it be considered a revival ? It should have been in the new musical category?

Where am I incorrect here?
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 08:45pm
Hedwig
Cinderella
Little Shop of Horrors

Because that's what the Tony committee deemed it to be.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 08:49pm
To me a revival is a remounting of a show that originally played on Broadway.

Looks like they make rules up as they go along

Updated On: 6/21/14 at 08:49 PM
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 09:30pm
Really, Roxy? This has been discussed here to death-particularly this season. They have a classics ruling. They decided this fell under that category. What difference does it make? It wouldn't have won in the new musical category, either.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 09:47pm
Yet again...

HEDWIG
INISHMAAN
CINDERELLA
NORMAL HEART
TALK RADIO
ASSASSINS
LITTLE SHOP

Shows exist off-Broadway. When they are re-mounted on Broadway, they aren't magically new productions just because they haven't played one of 40 theatres.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 10:06pm
"To me a revival is a remounting of a show that originally played on Broadway."

And to you Rocky should have won best musical. People whose opinions actually matter obviously disagree.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 10:07pm
When Carrie played off broadway it was deemed a revival. Even though it was the first time it was off broadway. It works both ways.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 10:07pm
When Carrie played off broadway it was deemed a revival. Even though it was the first time it was off broadway. It works both ways.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/21/14 at 11:41pm
This has been posted ad nauseum here. Shortly a veteran, regular poster has stumbled on at least one of these hundreds of threads in the past two years alone.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 12:02am
Shortly?

I think you were going for surely.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 12:07am
You're right, need to get to bed, not sure how that happened.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
ErinDillyFan
Broadway Star
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 03:48am
Violet was made available for licensing. That made it a revival, even though it never played broadway.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 07:06am
Erin...IS that one of the determiners? I don't think I've heard that before.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 08:39am
It's not a bad benchmark to think about, though. Because the requirement is for a show to enter the canon, as it were, licensing is a major step in that process.

Something like DISGRACED, however, or CLYBOURNE PARK, two plays that had been done around the world, were (or are) still in their first go-round before being licensed at large. That would keep them from being revivals even though they'd played NYC in years prior and had been in London already as well.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 10:34am
How than could it be considered a revival ? It should have been in the new musical category?

Where am I incorrect here?

The real question is, where have you been the last ten years when this gets explained MULTIPLE TIMES EVERY YEAR?
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Violet Question
Posted: 6/22/14 at 03:05pm
You're asking that of someone who can't seem to figure out how to copy and paste a link, Mister Matt. I think you know what the real answer would be.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?

BROADWAYWORLD TV