Producers now allowed to bribe Tony voters

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
In theory, at least.

"Previously, the Rules and Regulations of The American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards had enforced very narrow guidelines to producers as to what they could give to those voting for the annual Tony Awards. Under those rules, the producers could hand to Tony voters only: a souvenir book; a script; "an audio and/or video cast recording that replicates the on-stage performance of the eligible production and that does not contain additional material such as narration, quotations, musical underscoring, etc."; and "one set of selected reviews and/or unedited quotations regarding the eligible production."

In other words: no gravy, no graft, no superfluous swag. Just honest, educational promotional materials.

No more! About the suspension of the rules, Charlotte St. Martin, executive director of The Broadway League, and Heather Hitchens, executive director of the American Theatre Wing, said in a joint statement, "It is the feeling of the committee that the producers have been acting responsibly and that they will continue to do so without such restrictive language. It is felt that the voters also act responsibly and that such things as souvenirs, edited reviews and small gifts, etc. have no bearing on the voters selections."

I envy them their faith in human nature."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/192396-PLAYBILLCOMS-THEATRE-WEEK-IN-REVIEW-June-7-13-Tony-Awards-Rulings-Draw-Ire-From-Industry/pg3
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
I need to become a Tony voter! Free swag!
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Now remember boys and girls , it is all about quality of performance.

Cue the laughing.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Charlotte and Heather can agree on swag but not on whether every producer of a winning show is entitled pay for the his or her own Tony medallion?

Girls--get some priorities!

Oh, and Heather--Isabelle Stevenson would hate what you're doing to her Wing.

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
James885
Broadway Legend
"such things as souvenirs, edited reviews and small gifts, etc. have no bearing on the voters selections."

I don't believe that for one moment.
"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
rjm516
Broadway Star
Seriously, like there needed to be MORE reason to not trust in the awards.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
If you believe that,I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
Ha, there's a shock.
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
corkystclair2
Chorus Member
The very fact that were limitations in the first place is an acknowledgment that this sort of giving of gifts is influence peddling.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Impropriety 're Tony voting?

Is nothing sacred.

orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Maybe I'm too minimalist to appreciate the appeal of being bombarded by promotional tschotskes, but does this seriously sway people's votes? It's not like producers take it back if you vote against them; you get to keep the crap regardless.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
jemjeb2
Stand-by
The voters can be gifted with all the swag producers throw their way, but since presumably they vote secretly, there is no direct correlation probably between the bribes and the voters' picks. They can always TELL the bribers they voted for their show, even if they didn't.
Elfuhbuh
Understudy
Hey, free money. It would be the producers' faults for even trying to bribe in the first place. ^
Tom5
Understudy
Old rule: You can't change human nature.
New rule: If producers don't grease some palms Tony Time they're unfit in their profession.
Patash
Broadway Legend
"It is the feeling of the committee that the producers have been acting responsibly and that they will continue to do so without such restrictive language."

Let's see. So they're saying "the producers have been following the rules, so we're changing the rules, but we still expect them to follow the old rules".

HUH??????
tazber
Broadway Legend
Next they're going to change the name to the Golden Globes.
....but the world goes 'round
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
Friend-raising is a big part of the campaign. Seomone who's on the fence may end up voting for you just because he likes you. So show 'em a good time. I can't wait for Harvey to take all the voters to the South Seas for a special performance!
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
In addition to Wilmington's apt remarks, there is an advantage to number of contacts. I don't think any voter is going to count memorabilia and vote for the show that sent the most crap.

But if s/he gets 8 mailings (flyers, libretto, recording, souvenir book, etc.) from WICKED while AVENUE Q can only afford to send 2, the number of items arriving from WICKED may keep WICKED uppermost in the voter's mind.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
First they get rid of the Sound Design awards because they don't understand them, then this.

What a joke.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 6/14/14 at 11:14 PM
LucyEth
Chorus Member
Given that Harvey Weinstein's now a Broadway producer, you'd think the Tony committee would TIGHTEN their rules. I wonder how much he paid them to drop the restrictions.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
I assume (if this didn't already happen), this could open to other 'gifts' such as back stage tours, meet and greets and/or dinner with the cast etc.

Updated On: 6/15/14 at 12:54 AM