Comscore

Best reviews of all time

Jay94
Featured Actor
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 01:15pm
What are some productions that have received the most ecstatic reviews of all time, particularly from The New York Times? I understand that Guys and Dolls (1992) is up there.
SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
Understudy
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 01:34pm
Although I was personally very underwhelmed with the show, if I remember correctly, "Matilda" got some pretty amazing raves all across the board.
mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 01:40pm
if you're looking for specific review, the times review of Peter and the Starcatcher gives the show some crazy high praise.
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 01:54pm
Lots and lots of shows have received rave reviews across the years. How do you begin to judge whether one rave review was more ecstatic than another rave given 30 years apart written by completely different people?
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:43pm
THE BOOK OF MORMON, AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, the last revival of HAIR, THE NORMAL HEART, TWELFTH NIGHT/RICHARD III, BILLY ELLIOT, URINETOWN, NEXT TO NORMAL, and THE PRODUCERS are all recent shows that came to mind right away.

Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Updated On: 6/13/14 at 05:43 PM
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:47pm
I seem to remember the NYT review for the original PROMISES, PROMISES began with "Oh God, yes!"
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:48pm
Double post.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Updated On: 6/13/14 at 05:48 PM
darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:50pm
I misread the title of this thread and thought it said Best REVIVAL of all time. LOL
Darreyl with an L!
Hackasaurus_Rex Profile Photo
Hackasaurus_Rex
Understudy
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:56pm
Rock Of Ages got a rave from the Times.
ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
Broadway Star
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/13/14 at 07:07pm
Rock of Ages.
Bronx Bombers
Motown the musical
Mamma Mia
Wicked.
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 01:39am
According to Suskin's book (circa 1980), the only musical shows that received unanimous raves subsequent to 1943 were the original productions of: Brigadoon; How to Succeed; South Pacific; Guys and Dolls; Wonderful Town; The Music Man; An Evening with Beatrice Lillie; and My Fair Lady; all the others received a least one so-so or mixed review.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 6/14/14 at 01:39 AM
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 11:21am
All the reviews for the original (1964) production of HELLo, DOLLY! were euphoric.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
iluvtheatertrash Profile Photo
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 11:26am
If you mean "best" in the sense of writing? Moose Murders' original review by Frank Rich in the Times is pretty legendary.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 12:00pm
darreyl102, I read the same thing!
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 12:02pm
"Moose Murders' original review by Frank Rich in the Times is pretty legendary."

Frank Rich should have never(!) been a writer for the theater. He thought Madonna did a good job in "Speed The Plow" and years later when his book of reviews came out, he had to walk back his comments about her performance because it was outrageously bad acting.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
Stand-by
Best reviews of all time
Posted: 6/14/14 at 07:42pm
Jim Dale mentions in his show that SCAPINO holds the record for the MOST RAVE reviews. I don't know what he was basing that on, but he seemed serious about it.