Kelli O'Hara WILL win Best Actress in 2015!!!!

Play Esq.
Broadway Star
Too soon?

After Eight
Broadway Legend
"Too soon? "

Yeah.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
She better.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
What if she sucks? Or someone we don't even KNOW about yet, hits the boards to all of our amazement? Or the show doesn't come to fruition?

I don't mean to say I think she wont be good in King and I, I'm sure she will be, I just think its silly to claim an award for a performance that hasn't even happened yet.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/8/14 at 11:09 PM
VotePeron
Leading Actor
Has she even been cast yet?
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
She may turn into the Susan Lucci or Peter O Toole of the Tonys. Always a Bridesmaid and never the bride.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Play Esq.
Broadway Star
No! It is written!

(I don't know where, exactly...BUT IT IS!!)
ljay889
Broadway Legend
It amazes me that people are still questioning whether she's really doing KING AND I. She's been rumored for it for 2-3 years and she confirmed in April that it's in the works.
#sadandtransparent
Updated On: 6/8/14 at 11:27 PM
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
She may turn into the Susan Lucci or Peter O Toole of the Tonys. Always a Bridesmaid and never the bride.

Susan Lucci eventually won... so she wasn't ALWAYS the bridesmaid.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
As much as I'd love Kelli to win for King & I, I don't really see it happening... Anna is a great role, but Gertrude Lawrence won the Tony because of who she was and because it was a new show, and she was the star; Donna Murphy won by default 'cause Julie Andrews declined her nomination... Leading me to believe that it is not a strong enough role to win a best actress Tony (in MY opinion). Kristin may be unbeatable in On the Twentieth Century, or indeed, someone fresh and new may come along a la Jessie Mueller and have a better role. Anna is a gorgeous part, but, much like Nellie Forbush, it wouldn't really come out on top in an award category unless it was the best of a weak bunch. It isn't as flashy as Mrs. Lovett, Rose, Miss Adelaide, etc. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't know when Kelli will finally get her Tony.
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Rather than comparing O'Hara to Lucci or O'Toole, it's probably better to compare her to Amy Adams. Both have have remarkable careers and garnered multiple nominations over a short span. Both are great actresses, and should be recognized more for what they have accomplished rather than for not winning awards.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
She should have won in 2014.
"Two drifters off to see the world... there's such a lot of world to see"
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
I was truly hoping to hear her name last night.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend

"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"I was truly hoping to hear her name last night."

You did hear it right before they announced the winner, no?!
formerly oasisjeff on here.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
So was I. You cannot always get what you wish for in life.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
We can all agree that Kelli is the Leonardo DiCaprio of Broadway, right?
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
HenryTDobson
Stand-by
^She's actually the Amy Adams of Broadway - both have five nominations (in their respected mediums) and should have (arguably) won at least one of those times.
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
She's not alone in that status, though. Danny Burstein and Estelle Parsons also lost for the 5th time last night. Tom Aldredge, Jan Maxwell and John McMartin are 0-for-5 as well.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
OlBlueEyes
Understudy
I love Kelli, but if I were voting I don't know that I wouldn't think that Kelli's life has gone so smoothly both professionally and personally that I'd rather give the award to someone to whom it would mean more.
valeposh
Understudy
When I asked her at stage door, she told me she'll do The King And I. Still so very disappointed. I haven't seen Beautiful, I like Jessie, but this was really Kelli's year.
2013-2014: Kinky Boots - Pippin - Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike - A Comedy of Errors - Twelfth Night - 700 Sundays - Big Fish - The Glass Menagerie - If/Then - The Bridges of Madison County - All The Way - A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ** Touring: Miss Saigon - American Idiot - Into The Woods - Bring It On - The Book of Mormon
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
If it was Kelli's year then she would have won. The truth is that it wasn't her year. She will eventually get the award, but the right role has to turn up in the right season first. Maybe next year will be it, and maybe it won't be. Maybe Audra McDonald will do something great and take home her 7th Tony instead.

In any case it is too early to tell. The casting is not even official yet. Sure she is long rumored, yes she is planning on doing it, but until the contract is signed it can change. It wouldn't be the first time a casting upset occurred.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Bartlett Sher directing Kelli O'Hara in "King and I" at Lincoln Center. I am bored already.
OlBlueEyes
Understudy
Would have loved to see the results if Audra had been in the musical actress contest.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
The 0 for 5'ers should start a club . You get kicked out when you finally win.

Page: