Comscore

Lincoln Center confirms King & I revival with Sher directing

Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Official-Bartlett-Sher-to-Direct-Broadway-Revival-of-THE-KING-AND-I-Arrives-Spring-2015-20140606#.U5MOLBYX25w

Lincoln Center has confirmed that The King and I will be presented next spring 2015, directed by Bartlett Sher... Casting to be announced.
jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Well hopefully the 6th time is a charm for Kelli O'Hara.
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
The 5th time isn't official yet.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Hope she gets her Tony for 'King' if not for 'Bridges'... When she eventually gets it, it will always be thought of as kind of a make-up win, though, unfortunately.
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
This is going to be stunning. Great team and theater for an amazing show.
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
"When she eventually gets it, it will always be thought of as kind of a make-up win, though, unfortunately."

By whom, Eeyore?
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Given that O'Hara's involvement seems a foregone conclusion at this point, I'm more interested in who they get for the King.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
I'm assuming "Western People Funny" will be cut.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
I'll be interested to know if Sher starts fresh, or if he will follow the format/cuts designed for the 1996 revival... That production cut Western People Funny, the reprise of A Puzzlement, and in general cut a lot of the 'condescending' material like the Abraham Lincoln elephant-letter section.

The last revival seemed so innovative and perfect for this generation, that I wonder what Sher could bring to it that will be fresh and exciting...?

Updated On: 6/7/14 at 11:06 AM
ggersten
Broadway Legend
I heard that Sher is going to set The King and I in a CIRCUS!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Word on the street is that Kelli O'Hara is not a lock for Anna. I hear that they are really interested in Adele Dazeem.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Well we know that they will include the full glorious overture, which the last revival sadly cut to about a minute and a half.

I like Western People Funny and the Puzzlement reprise. I would like to see them included.

I don't feel that Sher needs to be innovative and fresh, as he's tried that with new musicals. I think he will direct a grand and faithful production that will honor the golden age, as he did with South Pacific.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
I agree. Really looking forward to it. I imagine he'll be faithful and restore all dialogue and musical numbers, including the overture and entr'acte.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
"I'll be interested to know if Sher starts fresh, or if he will follow the format/cuts designed for the 1996 revival."

He should really start fresh and look past the original source material. Anna was not the only teacher and the other teachers resented her man-eating Western gold-digging pushiness. So maybe they will call in a new writer to write the song "My son needs an inheritance because my bum sailor of a husband left me penniless" and "Western whore too old for King."
HBP Profile Photo
HBP
Broadway Star
They should really learn to distance these announcements from Tony weekend...
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
I hope they cast an actor with a very masculine presence as the King. In the last revival, Lou Diamond Phillips didn't have the testosterone. It was like watching Nathan Lane play Stanley Kowalski.
JohnyBroadway Profile Photo
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
It's Lincoln Center. I imagine they will present a huge lavish full production like South Pacific! Large orchestra and all.
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Not my favorite show by any means, but maybe they can turn my opinion around.

What's taking the fall slot at Lincoln Center? Has anything been announced?
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Wishful thinking: Lea Salonga as Lady Thiang.
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Biggest question for me is, who's going to be the King? Paolo Szot? Brian Stokes-Mitchell? Any other (serious) suggestions? For me, the show has always ridden on the dynamic between Anna and the King
BroadwayEd
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Neither of your suggestions have Asian blood. I'm sure they will avoid controversy and cast a wonderful Asian Actor,
Starship
Broadway Star
To be 100% honest, I do hope they cast an actor of Asian or Philippine descent for the role of the King. Yes, they loose the name power but overall I feel it would be best.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
As people have discussed in other threads, Sher cast Paolo Szot and Loretta Ables Sayre in major roles for SOUTH PACIFIC. Clearly he'll cast someone appropriate for the King without caring much for a big name, the show is the name. I couldn't be more excited about this revival! This is a fantastic show.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Kelli O'Hara will definitely sell tickets, and the show's name & venue will help sell as well... King will most likely be an unknown Asian actor.
dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Aside from those of us on this board, I doubt the average theatergoer knows who the heck Kelli O'Hara is.

However, "The King and I" is a family friendly show, known and beloved by many. Plus, it will initially have a subscriber base to build word of mouth.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
After SOUTH PACIFIC, GOLDEN BOY, JOE TURNER and others, there are few companies and creatives I'd rather trust with putting on a glorious, traditional revival of a classic than LCT & Sher together. I hope this lives up to their stellar track record (with revivals, sorry WOMEN ON THE VERGE.)
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Page:

Advertisement

Advertisement