Hedwig on Spotify

Lenexajones
Understudy
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 05:39pm
Just discovered that Spotify has 2 songs from HPH's Hedwig. Gotta say I was very disappointed. Seems that it is too tame and he's singing to "pretty". Nothing at all like the raw energy of his show. Pity they didn't record it live... My favorite is still the original recording.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 06:14pm
I just bought Wig in a Box on iTunes but Sugar Daddy didn't sound very good, so I passed on that. Hopefully Midnight Radio will be great.

Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
Updated On: 6/4/14 at 06:14 PM
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 07:23pm
Does Neil's accent always sound this... fake? I mean when he's doing it because about halfway through both songs he kind of gives up on it.

And I much prefer the country twang Sugar Daddy over this new rock version.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
Updated On: 6/4/14 at 07:23 PM
Alix
Broadway Star
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 08:01pm
LOVE the new version of "Sugar Daddy." (Loved it when I saw the show, too, and was probably most excited to hear that song recorded.) I'm not crazy about "Wig in a Box," though. The audience participation part just sounds silly.
"The world only spins forward." ~ 'Angels in America'
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 08:20pm
Didn't love Sugar Daddy nearly as much as I did onstage. Wig in a Box remains a great song, but the trouble is we already have a great recording of it. Yes, a production with NPH was guaranteed a cast recording, but the song I'm most excited to hear recorded is The Long Grift. It's a man that sings it on the original recording and I'd love to remember it in Lena's voice.
I leave the room smiling.
J52
Featured Actor
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 08:38pm
I agree about the Long Grift. That and Sugar Daddy are why I am grateful for this recording. Otherwise, we really do already have definitive versions of the songs from Hedwig. NPH is not a particularly distinctive singer and brings very little to role vocally. That said, his performance will go down as one of the most unexpected and thrilling I've seen in the theatre.
Follow Your Bliss
Glittergrrl
Chorus Member
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 10:26pm
I really dislike the new arrangement on Sugar Daddy. I don't like the background vocals. I don't know why they're constantly changing that song, They did a different version for the film too. Leave it alone.

I think any Hedwig is better than no Hedwig at all, but I find NPH's voice kind of thin. I just don't think he has the depth or range of JCM or Michael Cerveris, but I can always listen to the original.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 10:31pm
Yeah, Norm Lewis he is NOT. Definitely very thin.
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 10:50pm
What do you need to put to get it to come up? I couldn't find it on Spotify?
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/4/14 at 11:09pm
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 10:38am
I didn't care for either one, really. I like the more country sound of Sugar Daddy as done by JCM, and with the new Wig in a Box, I missed the crazy-good piano at the end. But I do think the band sounds great on both, and I look forward to Lena's recording of The Long Grift (which I enjoyed when I saw the show last week).
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 10:42am
I like the updated orchestrations for Sugar Daddy. I also love Harris' delivery of "Wig in a Box". His pronunciation and diction are actually really good. I also think he captures the change in tone of the song (it is about finding yourself). (I always thought Hedwig wasn't really supposed to be a great singer, but more of a 'stylist' and writer.)
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 11:41am
^^^ I'll have to give them another listen!
Kad
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 11:47am
I love the new arrangements of "Sugar Daddy." They don't replace the original (which I also love), but they're a fantastic new spin on one of the best songs in the show.
matttaylorr021
Understudy
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 12:36pm
While I think NPH sounds fine, I will be sticking to the original. John Cameron Mitchell just sounds too perfect to listen to any other version.
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Hedwig on Spotify
Posted: 6/5/14 at 01:38pm
I happened to love both of the tracks, however, there is something lost (IMHO) going from live performance to CD. The only issue I had was Neil's dialogue surrounding the sing-along during "Wig In A Box"...He sounds like a cross between Willy Wonka and the Emcee from CABARET (which, in concept, is very creepy)