Tony Awards orchestra will be onstage this year!

jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
http://instagram.com/p/oyhLLOChIP/

@therealhughjackman REHEARSALS! Feeling very real and exciting. First time in many years the orchestra will be back on stage. #tonyawards #RadioCityMusicHall

This is very exciting!! Didn't know what thread to put this in. lol.
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Wait, so they're gonna be in the pit this year, or literally onstage?
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
I was wondering the exact same thing but he sys onstage!
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
I'm betting Patti LuPone is single handedly responsible for this after her soapbox crusade... Is there anything this woman can not do? She should turn her head to politics. And whipping drunken SoCal play audiences back into line

Patti LuPone on Tony Orchestra @ 11'00
Updated On: 6/3/14 at 01:38 PM
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
It certainly makes it less expensive, having less space for scenic elements. I know, that vast stage could hold the orchestra and the complete sets of both Act One and Bullets, but for the intimacy required for a TV special, they only need to use the DS third of the stage. And it's a classy look. Good move.
Fan2
Broadway Legend
Tapdancing:

thehughjackman
A peak behind the #TonyAwards curtain with the amazingly talented @JasonASparks, @Lesfles @caso1708 and Hayley Podschun.

Hugh Tapdances
Updated On: 6/3/14 at 04:26 PM
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Star
This is so great! Hasn't the orchestra been blocks away and piped in for the last few years? Or is that the Oscars?
I was previously known as Mr. Nowak (Joined: 5/20/13).
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Yes last year they were not even in the same building. This is great. Know people doing it...Yay for them.

Updated On: 6/3/14 at 05:16 PM
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
ukpuppetboy I was going to say "I bet Patti LuPone is happy!" but you beat me to it!

That was one of the things that really stood out to me when hearing her during Classic Conversations at The Shakespeare Theatre Company months ago.

I'm excited!
jo
Broadway Legend
The orchestra now gets its due!

When Warren Caryle worked with Hugh Jackman on BACK ON BROADWAY, the orchestra was onstage and it was a richer experience for the audience!
grandpianoalex
Stand-by
BUT, all the show performances have pre-recorded tracks----they don't advertise that.
theatregoer3
Chorus Member
I LOVE Haley Podschun. I hope she's on stage for this and not just assisting with the rehearsals.
jo
Broadway Legend
A Hayley tweet --

>>>>>Hayley Podschun ?@haypod22 1h
Dropped some streets beats with @RealHughJackman today. He can do anything!!<<<

Updated On: 6/3/14 at 11:38 PM
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Wonderful news. It's a different feeling when the orchestra's in the building. You can sense the buzz. And, who knows, the more audiences are exposed to orchestras, perhaps the more they'll expect out of their regular musical theatre going experiences.

Does anyone know who the choreographer(s), director(s), producer(s) are for this year's awards?
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
"And, who knows, the more audiences are exposed to orchestras, perhaps the more they'll expect out of their regular musical theatre going experiences."

Yay to that comment!!!!!!!
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"The more audiences are exposed to orchestras, perhaps the more they'll expect out of their regular musical theatre going experiences."

I don't think anyone is opposed to orchestras now. It's more of a cost issue for a show to have such a huge orchestra. Both the ticket price for the audience and the weekly nut for the show, no?
formerly oasisjeff on here.

BROADWAYWORLD TV