Comscore

Schepisi--direct Drowsy Chaperone -- STREISAND ??

Claudia Draper
Stand-by
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2014/05/31/fred-schepisi-life-telling-stories-with-words-and-pictures/4X2Xlx929444BfqXG64RZK/story.html

A. I’m going to do a musical called “The Drowsy Chaperone.” It was on Broadway and is a fabulous musical that sort of takes the Mickey out of musicals, while enjoying being a musical. You’re led through it by this lonely bugger who can’t quite deal with the world, so he escapes into ’20s musicals. He listens to them and they come to life for him. We’ve got Geoffrey Rush in it, and Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway interested, and possibly Barbra Streisand. We’ll see.

OH VEY.....GYPSY, MASTER CLASS, now this...lies, lies, lies... Free press, I guess !

It got my attention...
devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Would be a great cast!
ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
Broadway Star
That would be such a great cast. Streisand as The Chaperone would be Hysterical!
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
But only if the Chaperone was totally the focus of the film- the only one to sing even. And 32 years old.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Hathaway as Janet would be brilliant casting. Though I wish they'd give Sutton a chance now that she's had more exposure on TV.
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
thebeautyis3
Stand-by
I'm still rooting for an Amy Adams/James Marsden pairing for Janet and Robert, but I suppose Hathaway would be okay.
nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Claudia, how is it a lie - Schepisi directing with Barbra interested in it?

"The Master Class" bs that was posted on the Barbra Board was a rumor posted by someone who heard something, from the sister of the friend, who used to know the dry cleaner, who used to drive by the house, of the ex sister in law.......blah, blah, blah. Pure nonsense.

Barbra would be great in the title role of TDC.

Updated On: 6/2/14 at 11:55 AM
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
If they went younger for Janet, I think Ariana Grande has the pipes and already has that "cute vintage girl" style, which I think fits Janet well. I also think, if they got other very big names, Kim Cattrall would be a fabulous Chaperone.
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
I don't get Claudia Draper's weird obsession/contempt mix with Streisand.
Gomez3 Profile Photo
Gomez3
Chorus Member
Is it weird that I want Kristen Wiig as Janet? Sure we've never heard her sing, but for those who've seen her "Don't ask me to sing!" skit on SNL ... she is Janet.
CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
I don't get Claudia Draper...AT ALL. Weird & creepy.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
"...Sure we've never heard her sing,"

Huh? Wiig has sung in dozens of skits during her tenure at SNL.
madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Streisand's comic chops have been underused over the years, so she could probably handle this. However, Aldolpho is supposed to mistake the chaperone for the bride, and I don't know how believable that would be.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Gomez3 Profile Photo
Gomez3
Chorus Member
I'm talking about formal, Broadway-style singing.
pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
Broadway Star
I don't see Barbra as the Chaperone. However, I think she'd be amazing as Mrs. Tottendale. She has the comic chops and I think she'd be fantastic in a smaller yet really funny role.
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Wiig sang every Saturday Night during her tenure during audience warm up. OK voice. Anna Gasteyer is heads and shoulders better though.

ETA: Barbra for The Chair!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 6/2/14 at 06:28 PM
Claudia Draper
Stand-by
Nealb1 you are right. "Lies" was the wrong term to use. I have been a fan for over 40 years and I get way to involved and emotional. I want her to do something. It's all for love. Of course, I live in STREISANDIA and in my reality she has been filming Gypsy all along and will pull a Beyoncé and just release it on Christmas Day. Yes, I'm crazy...and I love it
Wickedlover56 Profile Photo
Wickedlover56
Understudy
I agree! Barbara would be inspired casting for the now "girl in the chair"
Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
Broadway Star
Toni Colette as The Chaperone please.
"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."
thebeautyis3
Stand-by
I really, really want to see Emma Thompson as The Chaperone.

Updated On: 6/2/14 at 10:02 PM
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
@madbrian: Andre Bocelli as Adolpho!

^ I'm all over Emma Thompson as Chaperone, and how about Kevin Kline as Adolpho? I am a fan of Streisand, but perhaps not in this show. If you want to go older, for farcical value, I'd approach Cher. And didn't Rush play Man in Chair in Australia? Or did I imagine that? In any event, he's ideal. Mike Nichols and Elaine May as Underling and Tottendale. And as an alternate Chaperone, Carrie Fisher, in which case her mother must play Tottendale with Carleton Carpenter as Underling.
Updated On: 6/3/14 at 01:29 PM
Steve721
Stand-by
Um, I don't understand how this will work. The great charm of the show is that it takes place in the Man in the Chair's tiny apartment, and he comments on and even participates in the action from time to time. How could they possibly transfer that vibe to film? If the film makers open it up, IMHO that would ruin the show.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
Steve, we need to presume that Schepisi realizes this is not something you can "open up." If both you and I know it, why wouldn't he and the studio? That being said, there is a great opportunity for big, old-fashioned Broadway numbers shot on Broadway stages. Because the story takes place not only in his dismal apartment, but in his imagination as well. So "opening it up" in that manner would make sense. And through any number of films and, moreso, TV, audiences have become accustomed to characters talking to the camera so I don't think that meta-choice is a problem.