Will Swenson To Take A Hiatus From Les Miserables

HighFlyingAdored97
Understudy
Will Adam Monley take over as Javert? I enjoyed his performance last month when Swenson was out.
Link
"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
That was quick.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
When I talked to him last summer at Murder Ballad, he said he loves doing new works so this isn't surprising, although the timing is a bit crazy.
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
I actually think he might make a great Crash. Knowing nothing about the Musical adaptation, Crash is a great character and I hope this show does the story justice, since the film is already a perfect little gem.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
its the end of the summer, might the producers try to bring in a "star" during this hiatus?
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Doubt it. The show is the star.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
July isn't really the end of summer...
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
If they were smart, they'd get Andrew Varela to come in, whose performance on the tour was nothing short of revelatory.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
CukorLover
Featured Actor
I'm sure Swenson will be great, but the whole project just seems strange. Though I've heard some of Werner's sweet music, i find her an odd choice given her contemporary /folk music genre. The director is Kip Fagan. What other musicals has he done? Bergasse? Well, i guess they liked his baseball number in SMASH.

Probably smart to test in a summer musical venue for sure.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
I hope Russell Crowe fills in!!!1!!
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
"If they were smart, they'd get Andrew Varela to come in, whose performance on the tour was nothing short of revelatory."

THIS. Varela's Javert and Betsy Morgan's Fantine were breathtaking. I have no doubt both of them would have received nominations this Tony season.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Agree. Andrew was awesome.

The Alliance has a pretty bad track record with new musicals.
Updated On: 5/28/14 at 12:16 AM
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
What has Varela been up to since the tour?
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
I'm going to guess that Swenson knew this was in the pipeline and had it already written into his contract. As much as I like Swenson, it's not like his name is selling tickets.

I, too, think he's perfect for the part -- not so sure about turning it into a musical -- but can't wait to hear about it.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
I wonder how long it will be before Ramin Karimloo leaves or takes a break. He isnt the biggest fan of long runs so leaving early wouldnt surprise me
Jeffrey Karasarides
Leading Actor
"I wonder how long it will be before Ramin Karimloo leaves or takes a break. He isnt the biggest fan of long runs so leaving early wouldnt surprise me"

If he ends up leaving so soon, maybe he could be The King of Siam...
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
HAHA NO.

And back to the original topic, I wouldn't be surprised about Varela either.
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
I found it really strange that Varella wasn't given Javert on Broadway. He's probably sick of the role, but I'm sure it's better than being unemployed! Hopefully Mackintosh will make things right and let him be Swenson's sub.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Karimloo would make a great King of Siam, but it's quite a stretch. Iran is in the Middle East which is in the Asian Continent, but Iranians are usually semetic or European.
StephieElise
Swing
You think it's too much of a stretch for an Iranian to play the King of Siam? Check out the King for the Sydney and Brisbane seasons! http://thekingandimusical.com.au/cast/ I don't think casting a Caucasian as the King of Siam is quite what they meant by blind casting...

Fortunately Jason Scott Lee will be playing the role when I see it in Melbourne :)
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
I miss when this thread was about Javert.

So, back to that, I doubt they'd rotate the understudies for such a long period (which would necessitate rotating swings too).
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Since his absence is so long, arent' they REQUIRED to hire someone officially? (Regardless if its an understudy or someone new.)

I thought there was some union ruling about that.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
I found it really strange that Varella wasn't given Javert on Broadway. He's probably sick of the role, but I'm sure it's better than being unemployed! Hopefully Mackintosh will make things right and let him be Swenson's sub.

Based on a tweet he sent out when the revival was casting, he actually was very much interested in the role on Broadway and quite disappointed it wasn't offered to him.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
In what is actually quite an interesting and original interview with Imogen Lloyd Webber from a few months ago Cameron makes it clear that he'd cast Will Swenson as Javert in his own mind quite a while before the US tour even - so it seems like his assuming the role when the show finally made it back to Broadway was almost inevitable.

(Talking Javert from 3'00)

Imogen Lloyd Webber interviews Cameron Mackintosh
Updated On: 5/31/14 at 12:11 PM
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Karimloo originally wanted to play Javert in this production, barring a tony win perhaps he'd swap roles.
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Eliza2
Chorus Member
Has anyone heard anything about who might be coming in to replace Swenson?

Andrew Varela has already tweeted that he won't be doing it.

Page: