Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/5/14 at 11:48pm
oooo This sounds really interesting! I would love to see this production
Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:46am
It sure sounds like they're headed in the right direction. The story does have an innate intimacy that I found lacking in the Broadway incarnation. While I admire Stro's balls-to-the-wall approach, it just seemed to crash under its own weight. I think a lighter touch might unearth the emotional core of the piece.
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 12:58am
It might be a better show, but with most of the score intact, it will remain a poor one. An enormous missed opportunity.
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 02:28am
This should never have been turned into a musical, the source marterial and film lacked to start with. Lets just let this die.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
emilyfaye48
Broadway Star
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 09:39am
I think it makes a lot of sense to make it smaller, I loved the show on Broadway but because it's so imaginative I could see them taking a approach more in tune with something like Peter And The Star Catcher and having it work really well. I reeeeeaallly want to see who ends us getting cast in this production.
Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
NewSynchopation
Stand-by
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:24am
They just need a better composer than Lippa and the show could be awesome.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:47am
It was not Lippa's fault

In Chicago (correct me if I am wrong), it (the score) got fairly good reviews. Just because you or others do not like it does not make it a bad score or show.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:57am
I'm getting wary when I see the phrase "new, more intimate version" being thrown around so much nowadays.
'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' -- RW Emerson
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 01:53pm
I think it's cool that they adding this to their season, but I can't imagine it being a smaller, more intimate show. That's not the point of the story of Big Fish, it's the completely opposite.
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 01:56pm
Hopefully they do more than change the cast size. It wasn't the cast size that was the issue.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 01:59pm
To reflect the new vision, the show will now be called "Small Fry".
'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' -- RW Emerson
broadwaydanwi
Stand-by
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 06:27pm
The show will also be "reimagined" as a children's theater production next spring at First Stage in Milwaukee.
Big Fish at First Stage
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 06:31pm
A 10 year Edward Bloom......great.
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/6/14 at 10:00pm
Smaller and more intimate might work... Big Fish demands not big-budget, huge cast grandeur, but a frayed-at-the-edges, homespun kind of wonder. The spectacle should be imaginative, since that's what it is- imagination.

A little closer to Starcatcher than Stroman, in other words.
broadwaydanwi
Stand-by
Reimagining Big Fish
Posted: 5/10/14 at 08:54am
I should clarify that First Stage employs both adult and children performers for their productions. Their target audience is children, but I've seen many adults enjoy their performances.