Aladdin Best Score?

RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:30pm
How exactly was Aladdin eligible for Best Original Score Written for the Theatre? It's main lyracist has been dead for over a decade. There are four new songs in the stage show, which means 2/3 of the score was written for the film. Just asking.
Elfuhbuh
Stand-by
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 02:10pm
I guess they figured that the new songs made up enough of the overall score to deem it eligible.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:12pm
Score category needs to be changed.Original score does not mean partially original. This is a joke.If this beats Bridges it will be a travesty.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:16pm
The qualification is something like more than 50% must be new. (ALthough one poster here said 60%). According to the other thread about this very subject, most posters claimed that Aladdin more than qualified.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:19pm
At least 2/3 of Aladdin was NOT 'Written For The Theatre'. If I was If/Then or Rocky, I'd feel unfairly eliminated from a Tony nom.
RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:25pm
There are 4 new songs composed for the stage show, the rest were composed for the film (a few not used but composed for the film) they can be found on the The Music Behind a The Magic CDs of unreleased/used Disney musical material. I don't see how the Aladdin score could be deemed 50% new for eligibility. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I like the show, just trying to understand the rules.
lambchop2
Chorus Member
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:31pm
I would assume that they are including the new music that takes its cue from previously written music as new. I wonder if they are even considering songs like Arabian Nights & Prince Ali new because they are quite different from the versions in the film?

Songs that are new for the show:

A Million Miles Away
Somebody's Got Your Back
These Palace Walls
Diamond in the Rough
Proud of Your Boy Reprise 1 + 2
Prince Ali Reprise 1 + 2
Finale Ultimo
Act One Finale (Arabian Nights/Whole New World)

Songs from the film:

Arabian Nights
One Jump Ahead
Friend Like Me
Prince Ali
A Whole New World
Prince Ali Reprise

Songs from concept/previously written music:

Proud Of Your Boy
Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim
High Adventure

RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:36pm
I see four new songs 'Written For The Theatre' not reprises or song's written for the film. Reworked songs from the film for the stage seems like a stretch to qualify a score as 'Original'.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:44pm
Basically people are paying Broadway prices for a live version of the movie.

This is what it comes down to.

This is a glorified Disney theme park show.

Original score ? It is a real stretch to say that. How much of Newsies was new? Did not think that was best score material that year.
RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 03:47pm
I have nothing against the show, I'm looking forward to seeing it, I'm just trying to understand the validity of the Tony rules.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 04:02pm
I think they make them up as they go along.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 04:07pm
The "new" songs paled in comparison to the ones from the film anyway. In my mind, it shouldn't have been nominated for quality reasons, forget whether or not it's technically a "new score." And don't even get me started on that Best Book nomination...
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 04:11pm
Quality aside, it's that "technically' question I need answered as to how it could possibly be deemed a new score when 9 out of 13 songs were written for the film NOT the theatre!
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 04:24pm
Well I'm not sure any of us can definitively answer that without being on the nominating committee. I'm guessing the finale, the reprises, etc are also considered "new" as lampchop pointed out.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 05:29pm
It's main lyracist has been dead for over a decade.

Try 23 years.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 07:23pm
No matter what - He is still dead.
rjm516
Broadway Star
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 07:28pm
I guess they were counting as new/original the songs that weren't actually in the film, even if they were written back then? Regardless, it's really unfair and I just hope that it doesn't win.
lambchop2
Chorus Member
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 08:00pm
They wouldn't have to include those three songs for the new material to be the majority, though. All that would need to be included were the newly written reprises, which were written for the theater and not film and would, presumably, thus be considered eligible.

It would mean 10 songs were written for the show, 6 are from the film, 3 were written for the film but never used.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 08:43pm
A reprise is counted as a new song?

By that logic, Bullets should be nominated as it has new lyrics to a number of songs.
lambchop2
Chorus Member
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 09:03pm
A reprise is part of the score, yes. And the reprises in Aladdin were written for the theater and not for the film nor used previously.

"By that logic, Bullets should be nominated as it has new lyrics to a number of songs."

Were the new lyrics for Bullets included in songs which were written exclusively for the theater production?
HenryTDobson
Stand-by
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/3/14 at 09:38pm
I'm sorry, but why is this still a point of discussion?

It was nominated. Move on.

Updated On: 5/3/14 at 09:38 PM
RSrichie
Understudy
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 12:12pm
Because this nomination, on its face, seems so egregiously against the rules, that it seems unfair to those totally new scores who didn't get a nomination. This is the venue to discuss such things.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 12:25pm
I honestly hope it wins only because so Howard Ashman can be honored for his work.
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 01:49pm
Even if it is not the best score.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/4/14 at 02:24pm
Ashman has been honored plenty of times for his work- and the work that has been honored is much stronger than Aladdin. And if this won, the subpar padding to the score would also be honored.
Yero my Hero
Broadway Legend
Aladdin Best Score?
Posted: 5/5/14 at 03:13pm
"By that logic, Bullets should be nominated as it has new lyrics to a number of songs."

Were the new lyrics for Bullets included in songs which were written exclusively for the theater production?

No. BULLETS' entire score is pre-existing songs, but some of the lyrics have been changed to fit the show, hence the point of that post in this thread.

I don't know if the committee looks this closely, but I wonder if they consider the reprises as old music and new lyrics -- i.e., count the music and lyrics separately when determining the amount of new material.

I really wish I knew how the committee (and it was the administration committee that made the call, NOT the nominating committee, although obviously the nominating committee chose to nominate it) came to its conclusion.

I thought that in a case like this, only the new material could be considered in voting, but someone else said that if the score is deemed eligible, then the ENTIRE score (even the preexisting material) could be considered. Anyone know for sure?
Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Page: