Replacement Ideas

tyldani
Swing
My wife and I fell in love with the movie 12 years ago. We were thrilled to see it would be back on Broadway with NPH.

My wife's birthday is in October and I'd love to surprise her with a trip to NYC to see the show. We live in San Diego so it would be an expensive "night out" with air fare, renting an apt and show tix. It looks like tickets are only being sold up to mid August. Is there any way to find out if it will run beyond that or can someone give me an idea of how far in advance tickets will be available?

Also, considering we would want to see it with NPH and not a possible understudy, are there any nights that would help our odds on that?

Thanks!

Updated On: 5/2/14 at 05:44 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Assume it will depend on NPH

If he extends yes. If not I doubt it.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
There are no understudies for the part so if NPH isn't in the show then it's not happening. It seems like he's taking a lot of time off so as long as you find a day with a show then you should be good.

Can't say how long he'll be in the role though. He might take a break from TV after HIMYM but who knows.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
There's a whole lot to deal with here. Right now he has no understudy. They say he won't be having one.

They also swear his contract is only through August 17. I think everything else is just guessing. When/if he wins the Tony will he lengthen his contract? Will they eventually add-in an alternate? Will somebody else take over after August 17? I don't know if there's somebody with more insider info than I have access to, or if they'd share it even if they did.

How about an "early" birthday present?
yes, you
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
I crafted my response just for you. I hope it meets with your approval.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
tyldani
Swing
FindingNamo...thank you! I had no idea this could possibly be over by August! Looks like you might be right on the early bday present.
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
You probably won't want to see the person they're thinking of as a replacement so I'd try going sooner rather than later.

Roxy, is someone making an ass out of U and NPH?
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
IN MY LIFE, things usually extend when I rush to get something before the announced closings.

A friend of mine bought tickets on two different nights when Sleep No More was "six weeks only" at the very beginning. I told him, there is NO WAY they are going to all the trouble to mount this show for six weeks. Lo these many years later, it's still there.
yes, you
tazber
Broadway Legend
I just want to toss in the fact that if the show wins best revival (likely) and NPH wins best actor (also likely) whatever tickets are left will probably sell out.

Definitely an early present, and sooner rather than later.

Good luck!
....but the world goes 'round
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
It already extended through August. Based on him saying he is looking forward to finally taking some time off, and his promotional obligations for Gone Girl, I think you have until August 17th.
nomore.org
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
I agree with the early present idea; it's a wonderful gift, and you wouldn't want to be disappointed. Or maybe there's something else to celebrate before August--an anniversary or first date or . . . ? Or just "Honey, I love you so much! Guess what we're doing!"

Hope it all works out.
tyldani
Swing
Thank you every one for your input. Considering we've been waiting for this for some time, I've already started looking at arrangements for late July - early August.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
I would get tickets in the next few days, it's a hot ticket. Have fun!
nomore.org
J52
Featured Actor
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 07:17pm
If NPH decided to depart and they still wanted to extend, they would have to get a marquee name just as big. I'd be interested to see Adam Lambert in the role (if we're only talking "names")
Follow Your Bliss
Kad
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 07:20pm
Shouldn't NPH also have promotional obligations for A Million Ways to Die in the West later this month? Or is he skipping out on promoting that film?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 07:24pm
Fortunately Adam Lambert is touring with 50% of Queen and can't get his hands on Hedwig. He lacks gravitas.
yes, you
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 10:36pm
This coming from someone who thinks Joan Rivers should have her mouth sewn up! LOL. Seriously though, I wonder what Adam would do with this, I mean there is no doubt he would not be as good as NPH, but still, it makes me wonder.
Darreyl with an L!
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 10:57pm
id be very surprised if this wins best revival and doesnt extend, will more than likely be with someone else as hedwig;.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:15pm
I still think this gift shouldn't be gambled on. Even if it's early, they won't be sorry.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:40pm
I would assume that producers would be VERY much wanting NPH to extend since the show is selling soo crazily well, but that decision is for NPH to make.
Darreyl with an L!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:42pm
Oh my darr. You should stop with the going after me. It's already not pretty.

yes, you
Updated On: 5/2/14 at 11:42 PM
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:47pm
"Pay no attention to Namo. He/she just wants a reason to complain. "
"But there arn't "Loads" of spoilers or even "hock full of spoilers"
Above is what I have said to you
So grow up! I am NOT going after you, just pointing out that there weren't any spoilers in the review. Do you really think you are that important to me? please!
Darreyl with an L!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:49pm
Oh gurrrrl. Summer down now.
yes, you
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/2/14 at 11:50pm
Then back the Fvck off me and I will!
Darreyl with an L!
Kad
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:07am
Girls, girls! One of you is pretty!
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Replacement Ideas
Posted: 5/3/14 at 12:47am
Perhaps u might want to try for a Wednesday matinee or a Thursday evening. They are traditionally the most available seats, particularly if you are willing to take a chance and hope for the best at the last minute. As much as I dislike recommending this, you might try to get tickets "on ice," but they are prohibitively expensive and wouldn't be worth your while, no matter how much you love your wife.
BroadwayEd

Page: