Worse Avenue Q Puppets

ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 07:32pm
Inspired by researching what utter b*ll*cks PoL speaks sometimes I came across some quite awful examples of Avenue Q puppets on youtube from the Italian production that would give Rick Lyon nightmares. But now this is in the public domain these surely cant be the worst?! Did Blacklick Valley High School do a production yet?
Theme to Ave Q (Italy)
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 07:37pm
They don't look bad. They just don't look like what you're used to. Doesn't make them terrible.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 07:43pm
There is nothing wrong with those puppets, they look fine. It's just a different take on the original.

Avenue Q is not in the "public domain".

And it's "worst", not "worse".
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 07:43 PM
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 07:47pm
They look like Italian puppets.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 07:52pm
This show could even work with sock puppets, it is all about how they are used.

I have seen international productions that used the original design and the whole thing fell so flat, and I've seen amateur productions with tiny budgets that were really effective.

The show depends on the execution, not on the design.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 08:22pm
I like them all except for Trekkie. UGH.
<-----craves juicy pizza
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 08:29pm
The necks??! The mouth interiors.?! The eyes/wrists and YES the Trekkie!!
No? Just me?? I would love to see the Italian War Horse after this..

And no it's a comparative adjective not a superlative so 'worse' is just fine thank you.
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 08:29 PM
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 08:35pm
They look scary as frick to me.
Darreyl with an L!
Phantom4ever
Featured Actor
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 08:55pm
Those Italian puppets are far better than the ones used by Stage 773 in Chicago last year. Yikes.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 08:58pm
I think the PUPPETRY is pretty awful....but they might have filmed generically, not to specifically to match the song.

I think they look fine as well. Just....different.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:09pm
Did you just suggest that the musical AVENUE Q is in the public domain? What the hell are you talking about???
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:13pm
That amateur productions can be staged by hiring the rights from MTI and that puppets of varying quality/design will be out there.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:17pm
What the.... huh? AVENUE Q is not in the public domain. Do you know what public domain means?
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:23pm
I wasn't suggesting that the artist's rights had expired, merely that public performances by amateur productions were now licensed and new puppet designs were common place. The topic was as such.
For a headband you're quite anal.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:27pm
But that's NOT what being in the Public Domain means. Public Domain means it has no rights or royalties to be paid -- like Shakespeare.

And for someone that criticized Americans for not being supportive of our theatre, why would you start a thread bashing someone else's creatioons?
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:32pm
What dramamama said.
valeposh
Understudy
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:49pm
Fiy, the Italian production was a small one, meant to tour vacation resorts in the summer. It's also possible they had a lot less funding.
2013-2014: Kinky Boots - Pippin - Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike - A Comedy of Errors - Twelfth Night - 700 Sundays - Big Fish - The Glass Menagerie - If/Then - The Bridges of Madison County - All The Way - A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ** Touring: Miss Saigon - American Idiot - Into The Woods - Bring It On - The Book of Mormon
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:54pm
This is the worse thread.
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/30/14 at 12:02am
The best production of Avenue Q I ever saw had sock puppets instead of full on puppets and it was extremely well done.
You taste the silver Sara, you taste the crown, you thirst for blood from the roses in hand, oh you spoil for sash and scepter doing a dance, as they crown you queen of High School Land.
Patash
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/30/14 at 07:52am
I'm not sure why Lucy has crossed eyes, but other than that, I don't see anything horrendous.

But I'd suggest if someone is going to post here and use terms like "public domaine", he should learn what those terms mean. And when corrected, I'd think the offender might offer a thanks, not just a snarky reply to anyone who DOES know what it means.

By the way, you do know your reply has been copyrighted right? And by that I, of course, mean that it will appear right if you copy this page!
missthemountains
Stand-by
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/30/14 at 09:45am
At least it's not that production where people played the puppets in horrible makeup (does anyone know which production I'm talking about? Too lazy to find the link)
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Worse Avenue Q Puppets
Posted: 4/30/14 at 11:14am
They look all right to me.

Actually thought that bit where Rod goes past the guy on the beach was pretty funny.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

BROADWAYWORLD TV