If/Then for a teenager?

jbm2
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 12:52pm
How appropriate is If/Then for a 15 year old girl?
Would she enjoy it?
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 12:55pm
Appropriate, sure, although she may be bored to death unless she's a wild fan of Idina and just being in in her presence would be enough to hold her.
jbm2
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 12:57pm
Bored? Because it's a boring show? Or because it's just not interesting for that age?
ljay889
Broadway Legend
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:00pm
it's a pretty boring show. Idina gives a strong performance that attempts to elevate the material.
#sadandtransparent
PapaGe
Understudy
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:01pm
Agree that the show is pretty boring. Note that there is also a fair amount of profanity (including a song called "What the F*ck"?) and it deals strongly with the issue of adultery.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:10pm
I think most teenagers can deal with the f-bomb and with matters of adultery, however tediously explored.
brdway411
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:20pm
I am a 60 something and I was bored to tears, This show is like watching paint dry.
LYLS3637
Featured Actor
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:27pm
Count me as someone who found the show original, funny, poignant, effective, and compelling.

There is definitely some adult content and adult themes, but no worse than what's discussed on network TV. The profanity is more along the lines of HBO, particularly with the use of the F-word.

I think if she knew the structure going in-- one woman on two possible paths of life based on a single decision-- it would be a good preparation for the method of storytelling, and she wouldn't be confused or bored.

Updated On: 4/29/14 at 01:27 PM
haterobics
Broadway Legend
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:30pm
This show does seem to have a love it or hate it thing going on. I'm in the love-it group.

I haven't really cracked the code on what puts people in either camp, though. So, will you love it, find it thought provoking, and enjoy the Tony-nominated score from a Tony-nominated Idina.... or be bored to tears watching paint dry?

I do like the fact that there is stuff that can be so polarizing in a way, though. Most entertainment these days is meant to inspire a uniform reaction. Well, that is certainly not the case here. Although you could find just as many people who love and recommend the show as the ones above who hate it.

The good thing is that it not only divides but elevates. So, if you love it, it is one of the best shows you've seen in a while... and, as you already saw, if you hate it, you have just as passionate a response, in the other direction.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:44pm
While flawed, I overall liked the show. If she is an Idina fan, I would certainly take her...
TheHappyPhantom
Featured Actor
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 01:59pm
Generally shows like that are more uncomfortable for the parents, then their kids. Teens hear all kinds of stuff. And cheating is hardly something they don't experience/understand. Don't dumb down what she's exposed to based on age stereotypes.
NeverSoShy
Chorus Member
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 02:12pm
I'm one of the most awkward people in the world when it comes to seeing 'adult' stuff with my mum, but I definitely wouldn't have even vaguely had a problem with this when I was fifteen (though I did insist that we saw different performances of a local production of Spring Awakening when I was about 16!).
PapaGe
Understudy
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 02:15pm
I think most teenagers can deal with the f-bomb and with matters of adultery, however tediously explored.

Some parents are more concerned about such things than others, so it was worth mentioning in case OP is such a parent.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 02:41pm
When I saw the first preview, there was also an abortion storyline, I assume that's still in there. It's not a great show, but go if you're an Idina fan.

nomore.org
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 02:41 PM
delongpre
Understudy
If/Then for a teenager?
Posted: 4/29/14 at 09:03pm
My 14 year old loved the show and was fascinated with the plot(s) and character changes. She talked about the deeper meaning for a long time afterwards. She is a bright kid and an Idina fan, but she loves theater in general anyway, so any kid who loves theater and can stay open-minded enough to let this story sink in will probably enjoy it. And the music is fun. And it's great to look at.

BROADWAYWORLD TV