Tony Awards Pre-Nominations Poll

Blackbird3
Understudy
Tony Awards Nominations Poll (New)
Posted: 4/27/14 at 11:19am
I've created a new (informal, unscientific) poll now that the nominations have been announced. Please vote for who you want to win the Tony award in each category:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_lmmGAqv0oZWZav8gyRdO7VTe8VHTBq-B5IBRIL79l0/viewform

View Poll Results
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 11:19 AM
Broadway61004
Stand-by
Posted: 4/27/14 at 11:32am
Good poll, but Pat Shortt is a man, so I highly doubt he'd be up for Best Featured Actress in a Play.
Blackbird3
Understudy
Posted: 4/27/14 at 11:37am
Oh my, how embarrassing! Thanks for catching that, I fixed it!
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:11pm
I hope you do a one for the official nominations! :)
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:15pm
Likewise, Tony Shalhoub might get more votes if his name is spelled correctly.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Blackbird3
Understudy
Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:21pm
jnb9872 - Noted and fixed. Thanks for catching it!

disneybroadwayfan22 - That's the plan! I will add the technical categories as well on Tuesday morning. :)
ethan231h
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/27/14 at 02:21pm
you should add Gayle Rankin of Cabaret to that list!
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/27/14 at 06:03pm
This is great. High amount of responses!! Interesting to see if we get it right...
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
sing_dance_love
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/27/14 at 07:57pm
Yeah, I really enjoyed this. Curious to see the results and do it again post-nominations.
"...and in a bed."
RaisedOnMusicals
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/27/14 at 08:00pm
I wonder how many people who who have voted for Beautiful have actually seen it.
<--------Curtain call, opening night of A Little Night Music, Dec. 13, 2009
Blackbird3
Understudy
Posted: 4/27/14 at 10:08pm
Thanks, ethan231h! I added her, as well as Annie Golden for Violet.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback and for voting! Can't wait to see how the results compare on Tuesday!
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/28/14 at 08:05am
Fun!

Thanks for doing this.
....but the world goes 'round
jkstheatrescene
Understudy
Posted: 4/28/14 at 08:42am

Sorry if this is a thread-jack, but it is related. Here are my (and my friend Mike's) wish list and practical predictions for all of the musical category Tony nominations: http://bit.ly/1ivIj5Y . We'd love to hear your thoughts!

OP - I'll translate my thoughts to your poll! Thanks for doing it!
Favorite shows of the 2013 - 2014 season (so far): Fun Home, The Glass Menagerie, After Midnight, The Bridges of Madison County, If/Then, The Most Happy Fella
cruisemama4
Swing
Posted: 4/28/14 at 09:01am
This is great! I won't vote because I haven't seen all the shows. I did see many and Beautiful twice and loved it. I would be thrilled to see Beautiful and Jesse Mueller win. Thanks for doing this poll!
PJPan
Understudy
Posted: 4/28/14 at 09:50am
What fun!! Thanks so much for doing this. Can't wait for the noms tomorrow.
Blackbird3
Understudy
Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:03am
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm thrilled with all of the responses!

Any thoughts on how to do the poll when the nominations are announced? I am unsure of whether to have everyone predict who they think will win, or have everyone vote for who they want to win. (I could make a second poll, but that could be overkill?)
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:40am
After seeing Beautiful last night, I found it enjoyable but not extraordinary. Don't know what the hype is about and why it keeps getting nominated for Best Musical. But I have to say.. Jessie Mueller was amazing. Wow! Couldn't take my eyes off her. But the show itself was meh.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:50am
Saw it last night as well. A lot of people were fooled into having a great time. Thanks for setting the record straight as to how deluded the audience was.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
JudyDenmark
Understudy
Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:55am
Is Emerson Steele not eligible for Featured Actress for Violet? I don't know if she has a chance, but she seemed just as featured - if not more so - than some of the others. (And I thought she was great!)
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:57am
The woman next to me was jamming to the music the whole time and started singing during one of the songs too. And, during intermission, I heard her and another woman talk about how amazing the show was. In my opinion, to enjoy the musical, you have to really like Carole King. I'm pretty indifferent about Carole King so I didn't care too much about her life or music. Wish they created a plot for the show, like they did with Mamma Mia.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
FolFTony Awards Pre-Nominations Poll
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:07pm
Follows her from teenager to budding songwriter to marriage problems to after marriage. Had me fooled .Sounded like a plot and a story to me.
newintown
Broadway Legend
FolFTony Awards Pre-Nominations Poll
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:11pm
There are few things worse than a fan who feels personally insulted when someone criticizes what they like, and then lashes out defensively and disproportionately...
Blackbird3
Understudy
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:15pm
JudyDenmark, you are correct, and she had been added!
dented146
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:17pm
Thanks. this is fun.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:20pm
What an amazing plot. Best Book for Beautiful. Not. :-P
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/28/14 at 12:26pm
I guess they should have totally fictionalized her life to make a more palatable plot. How about she found a lamp and rubbed it and she got 3 wishes.Wait wrong show.

Page: