Jason Robert Brown to conduct

karen24
Leading Actor
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:03pm
I know there are a lot of "Bridges" fans here and I didn't see it posted already, so: I just saw this on Twitter:

You heard it here! RT @MrJasonRBrown Hey people, guess what! Iím conducting @BridgesBroadway tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 7 pm! Come say hi!

I believe he has done this at least once before, last month. Did anyone see it? Is having him conduct any different from having the regular conductor? I wish I could go, but alas, I am upstate.

Bridges Broadway
Maggie-the-schnoodle
Updated On: 4/21/14 at 08:03 PM
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:29pm
Sweet! I was planning on using a past dated ticket for tomorrow.
#sadandtransparent
Blockhead24
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:30pm
This is at least his third time doing it. I really wish I could be there! Darn tech week :-/
*formerly obsessedjb*

"Make up your mind you want clarity, take what you know and then make it make sense"-N2N
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:32pm
I was there the last time he conducted. He conducts slower than the regular conductor. According to Kelli, he's MUCH slower.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:33pm
As long as the show stays open, he'll probably do it again. He's the substitute conductor when the regular conductor can't be there.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:44pm
Yes, I saw him once. He is slower and very, very animated. I couldn't help but look at him because he was moving around so much. I may try to make it tomorrow, I THINK there will be tickets!
nomore.org
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:44pm
Double post
nomore.org
Updated On: 4/21/14 at 08:44 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 08:53pm
The Tony nominations will determine if it closes soon or not.

No matter what, give the producers a hand for believing in their show but marketing it in a really bad fashion. It should have a long life in regional productions.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:00pm
What does any of that have to do with JRB conducting?!
formerly oasisjeff on here.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:04pm
^This.

Mr. Roxy just does not know the difference between what is relevant and what is irrelevant to the conversation.
juice23
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:08pm
Can someone post a picture of the show curtain?
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:53pm
We would except there isn't one....
nomore.org
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:55pm
Is there a rush for this show? How many tickets?
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 09:59pm
I'm not an idiot. I was piggybacking off juice's post about the usual questions people ask.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:01pm
So you're going to post more irrelevant questions to piggyback off other people's irrelevant questions? Wow. Ok then. You do that.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:08pm
^ You're an idiot.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:09pm
^ Takes one to know one.
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/22/14 at 02:32pm
Tried past dating a ticket today at 11:30am, and I just missed the last ticket. The representative said that the box office only sent over 10 seats for past dating. I found that a little surprising for a show that is severely struggling.
I wonder if rush was more difficult today?
#sadandtransparent
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/22/14 at 04:37pm
"I was there the last time he conducted. He conducts slower than the regular conductor. According to Kelli, he's MUCH slower."

This is a traditional problem with composers conducting their own work: they want to hear (and want us to hear) every little grace note. The people who did Lansbury's GYPSY in the 1970s complained bitterly about the album that resulted: Jule Styne conducted it himself and the rest of the staff (at least those I met) complained that his tempos were much too slow.

I've had the same experience myself (as a lyricist) when the composer decides to conduct our work.

(ETA I should add that I am speaking in general and from other experiences. I haven't heard BRIDGES--with or without Mr. Brown conducting.)

Updated On: 4/22/14 at 04:37 PM
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/22/14 at 04:44pm
The biggest example I can think of there is Leonard Bernstein (who of course *was* a world class conductor, although I do find many of his recordings of famous pieces by other composers can be a bit on the slow side too...) His Candide is so drawn out, as his WSS recording (though that's hardly the worst issue with that disc.) It probably was good that he was across the continent when WSS was originally recorded--in that recent book about WSS from the perspective of a musicologist prints out many of the recording session notes and also Sondheim's telegrams and a letter to Bernstein about it--Sondheim mentions that Lenny will probably not be pleased that Lieberson asked that the tempi in general be faster that on stage, though Sondheim agreed with him that this was important for the dance music to convey some of the excitement that is missing without the visuals.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/22/14 at 04:50pm
To Ayrocks

Who died and made you arbiter of what is relevant ? If you do not like what I post, don't read it.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/22/14 at 04:55pm
If you do not like what I post, then don't read or respond to it.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/22/14 at 05:47pm
Your responses are reminiscent of a preschool playground. "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!?!"
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/22/14 at 05:53pm
I'm just wondering why he isn't taking his own advice.
avyrocks
Stand-by
Posted: 4/22/14 at 05:55pm
And there's no basis/support for your argument to argue with. "You're an idiot." Why? Because I said so. That's called circular reasoning.

Page: