Which White Shows Have White Presidents & Their Families Seen?

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Racist Rhoda4 poses an interesting question. Since the Obamas are CLEARLY only seeing "black" shows since they're black, which white shows have white presidents gone to see since they're white?
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
I'm pretty sure there was a president before Obama who saw Our Town. I'll ask the KKK. They would probably know.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
So you're going to PM Roxy?
RaisedOnMusicals
Broadway Star
I was at a performance of Chicago, I believe in the summer of 1996, that was attended by Bill and Hillary. We were notified in advance to get to the theater early for security reasons. He sat a few rows behind me, and during intermission, we engaged in a brief conversation about the fact that our daughters were both entering college in the fall. He said, " I hope you're looking forward to it more than I am." It was two dads talking, and I don't think I'll ever forget it.
<--------Curtain call, opening night of A Little Night Music, Dec. 13, 2009
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Mmmm Hmmm. A white man seeing a white show.

Typical.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
I did see George and Barbara Bush attend A Little Night Music by the Houston Grand Opera. That was a white-only cast as well. But that was okay because they are white Republicans. It's only notable if you're a Democrat or black.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 4/11/14 at 04:37 PM
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
Do the Rockettes count? I believe that a couple Presidents visited the shows with the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. And please correct me if I am wrong, the Rockettes started having black women joining the line in the 1990's.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
That's some white nonsense if you ask me.
haterobics
Broadway Legend
I know the Clintons saw Rent, but that's a "multi-cultural" show, so I guess that wouldn't count?
formerly oasisjeff on here.
sinister teashop
Understudy
The U.S. Senate.
"Riches of the imagination, not the imagination of riches." - Charles Ludlam
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
Yeah but in RENT, there are two main black characters. One has AIDS and is dying and the other one is a d**che. And the one lone survivor is a white man.
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
I sat next to the Clinton's at Hair in Central Park, Can Hair be considered a white musical?
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
Oh I forgot Mimi, Joanne and the other one.
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
The Lincolns saw Our American Cousin at Ford's Theater. All white show, all white cast. Heard he got a real bang out of it.

What? What? Too soon?

Updated On: 4/11/14 at 05:22 PM
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Fisherman Bob makes an excellent point.
Adair Haywind
Featured Actor
I remember hearing the Clintons attended "A Little Night Music" when Bernadette and Elaine were in the show. They seem to be pretty avid theatre-goers.
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
"...and how was the second act, Mrs Lincoln?"
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
I should have told him the show got bad reviews. My bad.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
The Kennedys saw Mr. President in Washington pre-Broadway. Jack later sent a note to Berlin because he had to leave the show early.
(Everyone's a critic)
They were all white.
AHLiebross
Stand-by
What I want to know is what female shows female Presidents have seen.

In all fairness to the OP who started the other thread that this one is parodying, I don't think that the individual actually used the term "black show" -- that term came up in a response that derided the OP's disapproving implication that the President cared mostly about attending shows with major characters who are black or themes that involve experiences with which black people can identify. The original post was, in my view, inappropriate. Nevertheless, let's not make the post sound even worse than it was, even if only to avoid giving the OP the opportunity to respond, "I didn't say that."
Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend

I was a performance of West Side Story at the Kennedy Center attended by President and Mrs., Carter, after which the president kissed Debbie Allen.

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
The Bush 1's attended Hairspray. I'm not sure what they did during the Seaweed scenes.

Laura Bush and her daughters went to see Wicked. I'm sure Chenoweth was thrilled to host them.

The Clintons also saw Avenue Q, and Forum with Whoopi (and she's black!!!!).

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
The Other One
Featured Actor
Jackie Kennedy attended the opening of ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER in 1965.
Tink2
Stand-by

I remember the Clinton's attending quite a few Broadway shows. George and Barbra Bush love a good musical too. They attended a production of Joseph in Maine last summer.

NYC4Life
Broadway Star
Laura Bush and one of those girls was at the Sam Mendes Gypsy when I saw it.
veronicamae
Featured Actor
George HW & Barbara Bush were at a performance of In The Heights in Houston.

How's that for throwing a wrench the theory?

Page: