How do you spend $4 million on a party?

BroadwayBen
Leading Actor
This can't be true, can it? What would make it so expensive? Does the show pay for this or did Woody pay for it?

http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/bullets-over-broadway-zach-braff-scrubs-musical-1201155926/
averagebwaynut
Leading Actor
Normally, a show would pay for its own opening night party and might offset some of the expense with one or more sponsors.

In this instance, you can rest assured that the show did not pay for the party. I had heard the price tag was "only" $1 million -- which is still anywhere from 5-10x what a "typical" opening night party would cost -- and that it was paid for by Woody and his sister.

As for why so expensive, the bulk of the cost is likely the venue rental in this case. Even if they had the entire capacity of the St. James attend the party (which is unlikely), and even if they spent $200/head (also unlikely), that's still "only" $350,000 or so. Sure, decor, music, the Greyhound buses they used to take everyone from the theatre to the party etc add more cost, but I don't see how it would have climbed as high as $4M.
"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
That can't be accurate. I bet it was $400,000 and they got the comma in the wrong place.
WayTooBroadway
Featured Actor
The Met Museum insurance.
"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
^ Yes. In response to the thread title, the answer is: You hold it at the Met.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Broadway Legend
I was at the party and it sure was plenty glam, it was certainly the most opulent opening night party I've been to (the Temple of Dendur room was gorgeous!), but unless the Met rental was extremely large I don't think it could be anywhere near $4 million. There were 900 guests at the event, which is large but I've been to plenty that have been 1100-1400.

ETA: Ah, yeah I didn't think of that. The whole event was surrounded by priceless artifacts and pieces of art, so the insurance fees could have been pretty substantial. All you need is for one person to be too tipsy and fall into a $5 million Egyptian jug.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 4/11/14 at 02:07 PM
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
But I would think perhaps some of that kind of collateral against potential damage would be refundable. I just can't imagine anyone agreeing to a 3 million Dollar insurance policy with no return on the deposit.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Have you ever been to a buffet table with Marin Mazzie? Girl's got an appetite.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Kad
Broadway Legend
The Met is a rather... opulent place for an opening night party.
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Not to mention far from the theater.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
What would make it so expensive? It's at the Met, Manhattan is very expensive, and Woody Allen is involved?
nomore.org
PalJoey
Broadway Legend

Maybe Mia called up the writer from Variety who reported the "entirely unconfirmed" $4-million figure and hissed, "Guess how many millions of dollars Woody spent on that party?"

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Updated On: 4/11/14 at 03:03 PM
RaisedOnMusicals
Broadway Star
How do you spend $4 million on a party?

You don't and they didn't. Not from the show's investors at any rate. You can take that to the bank. Can you imagine: Hey, invest in our show, it will be capitalized at $15 million. And by the way, $4 million of that is for the opening night party.

Yeah, right.

As someone said, it was surely an incredibly expensive party compared most (the one for Old Jews Telling Jokes was at Ben's Deli for the opposite extreme), but Woody probably picked up a good chunk of the cost himself.
<--------Curtain call, opening night of A Little Night Music, Dec. 13, 2009
morosco
Broadway Legend
Is the cost of a cast party usually part of the production budget? I find it highly unlikely that the show's investors would go along with it if that's the case.
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Having co-produced some off-broadway shows, opening night parties are figured into the production's expenses. Though I doubt very much one that cost $4 mil would be.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Hackasaurus_Rex
Understudy
Zach set up a kickstarter to pay for the party.
sinister teashop
Understudy
I don't know. Maybe we should ask the person who started the question-campaign of why there are only white people in BULLETS. And come to think of it, why are there only white people in GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER?

"Riches of the imagination, not the imagination of riches." - Charles Ludlam
Updated On: 4/11/14 at 04:31 PM
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
They could have got it done a lot more cheaply if Woody didn't insist on including a drawing for "The Monet Of Your Choice' at the end of the night.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I wonder why it might be so expensive, could not be just it is held in the Met, but maybe they were dazzled by being surrounded by George Bush Jr portraiture, now that would give any opening night party kudos, not!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon*****
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
I hear they are letting out Brooksie's costumes as we speak.
They served Exotic Camel meat.
Famebroadway2
Leading Actor
Damn! What was in those goodie bags? Diamonds?
trpguyy
Broadway Star
But there aren't only white people in Bullets. Kelcy Griffin is African-American.
lightguy06222
Broadway Star
Venue Rental must be outrageous.
Catering costs are huge. Food, AND staffing.
LIGHTING costs are huge.
Moving to NYC Sept 2nd. Looking forward to seeing American Idion, Aadams Family, Fela!, La Cage Aux Folles, Little Night Music, Memphis, Million Dollar Quartet, Promises Promises, Wintuk