Music Man

ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
"The Music Man" TV Movie?
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:40pm
What was the overall consensus when this came out? Was it a hit? A former professor is directing a regional production of the show and wanted me to audition for Harold Hill and I'm watching the 2003 version to familiarize myself with it as I don't know much. Isn't the role of Hill usually cast a little older?

Updated On: 4/10/14 at 11:40 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:50pm
Was this the version where Matthew Broderick played Harold Hill like Ferris Bueller?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/11/14 at 12:32am
I enjoyed the film as a whole. The direction and the choreography are great. And, for the most part, I love the cast. I also loved that My White Knight was used as it wasn't in the original film.

I never felt that Broderick was "too young". He's roughly the same age as Craig Bierko and Eric McCormack who both played the role on stage. I just never really bought him as a "flim flam man".

Funny, while I was typing this Broderick's 76 Trombones just came on my iTunes.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Taryn
Broadway Legend

Posted: 4/11/14 at 12:42am
TERRIBLE. Watch the original film.
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend

Posted: 4/11/14 at 12:47am
It's borderline unwatchable for me. The original film is great, though...I just wish it used "My White Knight."
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 04:45am
I didn't think it was terrible, but I will agree: watch the original. Robert Preston is simply amazing.

Yes, he's usually middle age or so -- a man that has avoided relationships all his life until he steps into this one.

I have always thought that it's bit odd the age difference between Harold, Marion & Winthrop -- so from a TECHNICAL POV, I don't think it CAN'T be done my a younger man.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 06:49am
I couldn't get through it. I thought both leads were completely wrong. I think I lasted 30 minutes before I turned it off.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
dreamcoat12
Understudy
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 07:44am
The original movie not only stars Robert Preston who originated the role, it also was directed by the same man who directed the original Broadway production. If you're looking to do a character study, the original movie is your best bet. And actually, the original movie is just flat out better regardless!
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 08:52am
The original is a good movie. The new one is a bad movie.

However, viewing the two of them together is a very interesting look at the march of progress in HOW movie musicals were filmed. The original tries to "open up" where necessary, but preserve as much of how things were done onstage as it possibly can. The new one dispenses with stage conventions and staging entirely, filming just as a film.
bwayobsessed
Stand-by
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 07:13pm
I must say as a whole I much prefer the newer version, I feel like the look and feel of the film as well as the supporting characters are much more entertaining than the original. However, I feel like neither Matthew's nor Kristin's acting was perfect (however she was flawless in My White Night and Til there was you). I personally don't find Robert Preston that amazing either and Shirley Jones in general I find one dimensional.
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 09:07pm
As so often happens, I agree with best12: the TV movie was unwatchable. And though Chenowith sang it beautifully, she was competing with our aural memories of Barbara Cook; nobody could win that contest.
The Other One
Featured Actor
Music Man
Posted: 4/11/14 at 09:13pm
I did not like the remake, but not because it is filmed as a movie instead of a filmed play, like the 1962 version. Movies SHOULD be filmed as movies. The miscast leads were hard to get past, unfortunately.

Preston is great in the original film, as I'm sure he'd been on Broadway, but I wonder if Warners ever offered the role to Burt Lancaster. He would have been fantastic, and he would have been more of a box-office draw. And from the little singing he does in "Elmer Gantry" you can tell he would have handled the score just fine.

For years I preferred "My White Knight" to "Being In Love", but I'm not sure I do anymore. It does have a glorious finish, but we don't need to like Marian more because she is pining away for a heroic man in her private dreams. "Being In Love" seems more in keeping with the independent woman we see in the rest of the show. I get why Willson wrote the later song, and I'd call it a draw between the two.

Updated On: 4/12/14 at 09:13 PM
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/12/14 at 07:19pm
"My White Knight" is one of the great Broadway arias and a damn-near perfect song.* The fact that it eschews Broadway pop hit structure is a way of dramatizing Marion's erudition. Giving her an obvious stab at a pop hit like "Being in Love" does a disservice to the character.

(* My one complaint is the following lyric:

"And I would like him to be
More interested in me
Than he is in himself,
And more interested in us
Than in me."

The same concept reoccurs in FUNNY GIRL and I don't understand it there either. What is this "us" over "me" business?)
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/12/14 at 07:25pm
Confidential to bwayobsessed:

You are entitled to your preferences, of course, but representational art--including most theater--is not entirely subjective. Harold Hill is a flimflam artist who hoodwinks an entire town of stubborn, stranger-distrusting, cynical Iowans!

He does so by making their lives more exciting than they ever thought possible because he is larger-than-life. Michael Broderick and his underplayed, slacker persona were so badly miscast that somebody should have brought criminal charges against those who hired him. Broderick's Hill might charm Winthrop, but the Mayor's wife? Not a chance.
The Other One
Featured Actor
Music Man
Posted: 4/12/14 at 07:49pm
"Giving her an obvious stab at a pop hit like "Being in Love" does a disservice to the character. "

I think the orchestrations in the movie, not only for "Being In Love" but for "Will I Ever Tell You?", are a bit on the Vegas pop side. The song itself suits her character very well.

Willson struggled to find the right song for that moment in the show. "My White Knight" went through many revisions before he settled on the one we know. I think it was a musical moment he decided to revisit when it was about to be filmed. I'm sure he would have loved an Oscar nomination for it as well, although it may have been deemed ineligible due to the bridge from "My White Knight" being maintained. I don't think he had it in mind to give her a pop song.
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Music Man
Posted: 4/12/14 at 09:49pm
The same concept reoccurs in FUNNY GIRL and I don't understand it there either. What is this "us" over "me" business?)

It sounds like the advice my parents give newlyweds: for major decisions, you choose what's best for the marriage, not what's best for a single party. It's about putting the partnership above the individuals. I think it's actually the most beautiful part of the song.