NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?

Keiichi2
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:05pm
So, during my past theater trips, it's become somewhat a tradition for me to eat at a steakhouse after a matinee performance. Don't ask why, or how it started.

In recent years, I have mainly stuck to two of my favorites - Ruth's Chris (which is right next to the hotel I always stay at, The Michelangelo on 51st street), and Keen's. But, on one of my upcoming trips in June and November, I would be interested in trying something different.

So, any recommendations on a great place to grab a steak after a show? Keep in mind, I would have an evening performance later that night, so I don't want to go too far from the theaters. But, if it's easy to get to, I would be willing to travel to get a great meal.

In particular, has anyone eaten at the Club A Steakhouse on E 58th? It's pretty well-rated on Trip Adviser, but wanted to know if anyone here had any personal experiences.

Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations.
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:11pm
Have you ever eaten at a Brazilian steakhouse? I recommend Plataforma, 316 W 49th St. Not cheap, but worth it. Style of dining features family-style sides, with waiters roaming the dining room with various cuts of meats on spits, carved right onto your plate.

Last time I ate there, Raul Esparza was eating at the next table.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:12pm
Peter Luger is the best steakhouse in the country, enjoy!
nomore.org
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:17pm
There's a terrific restaurant called Quality Meats on W. 58th, just off of 6th Ave. It's a little more modern feeling than a traditional steak house, but the food is fantastic.
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:38pm
My favorite is The Bull & Bear Steakhouse at The Waldorf Astoria. It's fantastic!

http://www.bullandbearsteakhouse.com

Skip2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:48pm
Sparks Steakhouse is my favorite in Manhattan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZEy1lFPxY

Peter Luger's doesn't even come close. And you don't have to schlep to Brooklyn. (I don't get the PL adoration. Middlin at best...)
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/27/14 at 02:53pm
My favorite is Candle Cafe West. They have a nice Chimichurri Portobello Steak that I've had a few times...
Candle menu
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
musicman_bwayfan
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/27/14 at 03:00pm
THE POST HOUSE: 28 E 63rd St btwn Park & Madison (should be reopening later this spring after renovations)
SMITH & WOLLENSKY: 49th Street & Third Avenue
THE PALM: there are 3 or 4 locations in Manhattan including 250 West 50th Street
bobs3
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 03:04pm
I like SMITH & WOLLENSKY: 49th Street & Third Avenue. Food is excellent but horrible acoustics. I think it may be the noisiest restaurant in NYC.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 03:11pm
The best steak I've ever had was Ruth's Chris. It was better than Peter Lugar for me.
<-----craves juicy pizza
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 03:21pm
Here are the best spots according to the Zagat guide. Peter Luger is always number one, which makes perfect sense to me. I love the term "schlep out to Brooklyn", like it's a million miles away. LOL.

http://blog.zagat.com/2012/05/12-best-steakhouses-in-new-york.html

nomore.org
Updated On: 3/27/14 at 03:21 PM
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 03:23pm
Wolfgangs, the one on 41st, just down the block from Newsies, is spectacular. (They also have one downtown, and I think on 5th.

FYI - I just happened across this article on Facebook this morning. Interesting tidbit:

"10. More steakhouses doesn’t mean they’re necessarily improving. Big, famous names like Morton’s and Ruth’s Chris have been accused of coasting on their former reputations and serving up crappy experiences."
10 Meaty Secrets Of The Steakhouse

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 04:41pm
What is the steakhouse near to the Gershwin theater, with the actual steaks hanging in the window?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 04:44pm
Gallaghers next to the Neil Simon used to have steaks hanging in the window but they closed a few months ago.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
morosco
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 05:12pm

Anyone remember Tad's Steaks? EWWW!!!

aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 06:04pm
SonofRobbieJ, thanks for Quality Meats! My parents will be in the city this weekend so I recommended it to them and they’re going!
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 06:11pm
Haha, I remember watching the steaks in Tad's on a conveyor belt, with butter melting on top of the meat. I never could understand why you need butter on there, but it's pretty popular. I think there might still be a Tad's here.
<-----craves juicy pizza
GoshGeeGolly
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/27/14 at 06:27pm
The Palm
Steve721
Stand-by
Posted: 3/27/14 at 06:50pm
Peter Luger is in Brooklyn, which is a fairly long cab ride from midtown where I usually stay. We also had to wait a good while to get a table. I thought the steak was good, but I also prefer Ruth's Chris, which is in midtown, although the interior of that restaurant is beginning to look a little run down.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 07:08pm
^ I agree. I always thought Ruth's Chris was the best meat I ever ate, so when friends took me to Peter Luger's for my birthday, I couldn't wait to have what was so rumored to be the best. I was so disappointed.
<-----craves juicy pizza
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 07:27pm
Gallaghers has reopened
jo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 07:30pm
I've been to Peter Luger twice and have not been overly impressed relative to its reputation. The Palm was good. Try out this one ( Uncle Jack's on 9th and 35th) --

http://www.opentable.com/uncle-jacks-steakhouse-westside-9th-avenue

Updated On: 3/27/14 at 07:30 PM
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 07:51pm
Gallaghers closed?????????!!!!

Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Wish I'd known so I could have gone one more time...
hushpuppy
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/27/14 at 07:57pm
No, Gallagher's closed only temporarily, for remodeling. It's reopened.
'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/27/14 at 08:12pm
Absolutely the Palm. One in the theater district, two on the east side 2nd ave/45th St and one downtown in the Tribeca area.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/27/14 at 08:28pm

Ruth's Chris
<-----craves juicy pizza

Page: