The Worst Seats on Broadway

gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:32am
What theaters and what seats in you opinion are the worst? I have heard that the boxes at the Al Heirshfeild are horrendous. Any others you can contribute? Specific production as well since the set can affect your view. Just curious :)
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:38am
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:44am
NEWSIES lotto seats
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:51am
The worst seats on Broadway...
This view is... disgusting?
You have to concede it!
They say this show's busting..
And here's where I'm seated?
The worst seat on Broadway...
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:53am
Thank you blaxx. I enjoyed your rant.
brdway411
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 12:54am
Box seats at Pippin
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:49am
One can never harp on the horror that is the Palace balcony enough. Miles away, frighteningly steep with a horrific view of the stage.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:56am
The HIPTIX Rear Mezz seats at Studio 54. I know I shouldn't bitch for the price, but I'll be damned if they didn't renovate those seats to accommodate people who are under 5'0 and 100 lbs.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 02:24am
I have sat on the balcony at the Palace for Priscilla and Annie. It did not bother me at all. It was a full view, and I did not feel THAT far from the stage.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Libby1209
Understudy
Posted: 3/19/14 at 04:18am
Agree with the rear mezz seats at Studio 54. Horrible.
ARTc3
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 07:21am
blaxx, that was priceless. I laughed so hard. I'm sorry at laughing at your misfortune and I do wish that the producers would read your post and/or the letter I hope you sent them, and have some human decency and refund your ticket. I doubt they will though.
ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.
Melissa25
Stand-by
Posted: 3/19/14 at 07:48am
I swore off the Lyceum balcony years ago.
The Pecan Sandies
Swing
Posted: 3/19/14 at 08:02am
To me it's the Helen Hayes. I'm 6'2 and if it weren't for the aisle seat I would not have been able to sit in the seat
fashionguru_23
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 08:08am
I agree with Quizking on the mezzanne at Studio 54. The price is what attracts me to crushing my legs for 2 hours. The Palace balcony isn't as bad as its made out to be. Never sat in the back of it, but I would think the last row of the balcony at the New Amsterdam wouldn't be good at all.
"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 09:53am
The balcony at the Kerr is the absolute worst seat I've ever sat in. You're probably less than a foot from the ceiling and it's so raked up there that you're pitching forward. It's really scary. (I also couldn't see or hear from up there.) I won't ever sit up there again.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 09:55am
I rushed "Gentlemen's Guide" when it was first in previews, and I got front row all the way to the left. Worst seat. I couldn't see anything. Therefore, I had a horrible time at the show.
jemjeb2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/19/14 at 10:04am
Currently ANY seat at the Gershwin!
Hairspray0901
Understudy
Posted: 3/19/14 at 10:12am
When I rushed Once, summer of 2012, I received Row B seat 12. After reading Blaxx's post, I can say I think my seat was just as bad. I saw the show a month later from 2nd row center orchestra, for full price, and realized then that there was projections on the stage of the Czech/English translations. I missed the entire thing when I saw it from B12, not to mention most of the action that didn't take place front and center stage! It was a completely different show seeing it from full view and I'm so glad I went back. Never again did I rush Once, nor will I. I realize I only paid $35, but after waking up at 3:00am to get on line by 5:30am, I was pretty disappointed that I missed basically the entire show.
tobiasragg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 10:55am
Reading these posts and others like it bemoaning the "selfish" culture of rush ticket buyers, it occurs to me that while it is a privilege and a gift that producers choose to offer relatively low cost rush tickets, there are some tickets that just shouldn't be sold at all.

I won the BOM lottery a few months ago and was seated in the first seat of the box. If I leaned to my right a few inches, I could look inside the false proscenium; my seat was basically on the stage. That resulted in my having a full view into the stage right wing space and anything that happened on the apron of the stage. Once the action moved behind the proscenium, I got a very expensive cast recording because the action disappeared. On average, I saw about 10-15% of the action.

Producers: please keep selling cheap seats but for god's sake, allow those who are purchasing tickets to see AT LEAST 50-75% of the action. I have no problem with partial view but there's a difference between partial view and NO VIEW.
"Bring down my things. I'm going out of this world exactly the way I came in to it: wearing a hat." - Colleen Donaghy, "30 Rock" -- "The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:08am
All the seats upstairs at the New Amsterdam are fine

Any box seats anywhere are garbage. They are high priced obstructed view seats

The Lyceum is indeed the pits. Sit on the end row about midway up there and you can see people almost sitting on the john because of where the bathroom is situated.

Upstairs at the Gershwin is like sitting in an airplane hanger.

The Kerr seats previously mentioned should be outlawed by the Geneva convention

Upstairs @ Studio 54 is not tragic for the price. The problem is the theater desperately needs a total renovation, Do it after Cabaret and you would have a really beautiful little theater.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
showchoirguy
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:39am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the rear orchestra of the Richard Rodgers. Saw Porgy and Bess with a quarter of the mezzanine in my eyesight.
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:50am
tobiasragg, I agree. They should not sell the back of the boxes at the Booth or the Hirschfeld. You can't see half the show.
I'm sure there are others but those are two I remember.
Demitri2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:18pm
For me the Lyceum is the worst too. I sat in the balcony and the seats were so raked and close that when I turned around I got a very graphic beaver shot from this old woman sitting behind me. Of course I had to tell my friend to turn around and tell me what he saw. He wasn't amused.
forgetmenotnyc
Stand-by
Posted: 3/19/14 at 07:26pm
Dimitri...u so baaaadd!
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 08:52pm
At the end of The Realistic Jones, my wife wanted to use the bathroom in the mezzanine. Apparently when Act 2 starts management padlocks the bathroom.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 09:03pm
The Balcony of the Lyceum, without question, for me.

The Shuberts need to renovate that theatre, but the entire building is a landmark. I keep hoping it'll be the next theatre they do-over, assuming they've started navigating the redtape long ago, because yikes that building is a (historically rich) discomfort.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Page: