Shows aired on television

Levviathan6
Swing
Shows on DVD
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:22pm
Does anybody know of any good shows that were professionally recorded and aired on TV, and subsequently released on DVD? I've seen Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged, The Mikado and a couple of others in that format, and I kind of like it. It's not as good as the actual theater, but I still like it. Can anybody think of any others that were also released on DVD?

My greatest skill is smashing bricks with my forehead.
Updated On: 3/13/14 at 05:22 PM
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:35pm
Not sure if it was aired on TV, but the final performance of Rent was released on DVD.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:44pm
I don't think Sunday In the Park With George was aired on TV, but it's on DVD.
Levviathan6
Swing
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:47pm
Changed the title of the thread to 'on DVD.' I think my cousin has Rent.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:48pm
You probably are aware, but Sunday in the Park and Passion were done the same way. Umm, you said "good show" but Love Never Dies was released this way, as well as Memphis, Shrek...

Are you interested in non-musicals too, because the list would be much longer.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:49pm
Promises, Promises, Sunday was filmed, like ITW and many of these, for PBS' American Playhouse, and definitely did air (even A&E back when it actually was Arts and Entertainment reran it a few times.)
Levviathan6
Swing
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:50pm
Yeah, of course. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged isn't a musical. Any shows.
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:53pm
If they are ever going to release them, let's try and go better than DVD... Blu-Ray, HD streaming, something else.
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
brettarnett
Stand-by
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:55pm
What production of promises, promises was recorded?
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:59pm
^^ They were replying about Sunday to the user named Promises, Promises.
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:05pm
Thanks Eric! Definitely didn't know that!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:12pm
Memphis was on PBS and released on DVD.
nomore.org
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:45pm
Jekyll & Hyde with Hasselhoff . In a remainder bin at any store.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Tink2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:49pm
^ Ha! I was just about to post that. Shrek was recently released on DVD. And, don't forget NBC's Sound of Music : )
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:52pm
Sound of Music, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Passing Strange, Jesus Christ Superstar (2 versions), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats

The following aired but not on DVD (legally):
A Little Night Music
The Light in the Piazza
Crazy for You
South Pacific
Sunday in the Park with George (Paris)
Will Rogers Follies
Tink2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:57pm
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:39pm
For some reason I didn't think that Cat was on DVD? Is it? I'd pick it up even though it's sluggishly directed, as it's still the most complete version of Cat (it uses the 1970s revised script like most current revivals.)

Tennessee Williams has a number of worthwhile DVDs like that but they aren't filmed stage shows (nor was Cat) but rather TV productions. However often they used the cast and director of a current revival--topping my list would be the awesome Peter Hall production of one of my faves, Orpheus Descending with Vanessa Redgrave which was just released to DVD, and her daughter, Natasha Richardson, Maggie Smith and Rob Lowe recreating, I believe, their London revival roles in Richard Eyre's Suddenly Last Summer which did air on PBS and is on DVD I believe only in a box set of Maggie Smith tv plays.

So again it depends if you mean live shows or not. The ALW shows mentioned were restaged on soundstages, so not filmed live. Trevor Nunn does this with his Porgy and Bess and Oklahoma and even has the cast lipsynching for much to the cast albums which drives me crazy (Oklahoma is even odder as they insert fake audience reaction shots.) But they're still worth watching.
Emma White
Featured Actor
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:41pm
Lots of semi-staged concerts - Company, Sweeney Todd, Chess (lol), Follies.
"Nice is different than good."
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:43pm
The Paris Sunday, and the French production of FOllies are both meat to come to DVD this year. Digital Theatre of course has a ton of shows--many worthy ones aside from the well known London Merrily and Into the Woods (I'd recommend their All My Sons in particular) but of course that's not technically DVD. Still, if you can use an HDMI cable to hook your computer to your TV they are in gorgeous full HD.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:46pm
....but the world goes 'round
Emma White
Featured Actor
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:56pm
I know that my city's major library has a whole shelf of DVD's of musical productions, so I'm slowly making my way through them...
"Nice is different than good."
Tink2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/13/14 at 08:57pm
EricMontreal22, I have the Cat on a Hot Tin Roof DVD. I love it, but I admit to being a huge Jessica Lange fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Hot-Roof-Jessica-Lange/dp/6305081905

EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 09:03pm
I have it on VHS... And probably what I was thinking was that it went out of print very quickly--and so is now ridiculously expensive. Boo. However I didn't realize the Baldwin/Lange Streetcar Named Desire was finally out on DVD (and has been for a few years) so I'll have to pick that up.
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 09:09pm
They filmed Crazy For You and Will Rogers Follies? Were these on Broadway, or...?
Tink2
Stand-by
Posted: 3/13/14 at 09:22pm
Eric, it wasn't that expensive when I got it. Netflix has it available on DVD, but not for streaming at this time.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/13/14 at 09:23pm
Crazy for You was filmed at Paper Mill Playhouse for PBS, though it was pretty much a recreation of the Broadway production.

http://www.thefilmcsa.com/crforyoupami.html

There was also a Paper Mill production of Show Boat that was filmed for PBS in 1989.

http://www.thefilmcsa.com/show-boat--paper-mill-playhouse--1989.html
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?

Page: