Comscore

Could Nobody Loves You .... be transferring to Broadway?

PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Hmmm this is interesting. According to this notice on Playbill they are doing a two week reading of Nobody Loves You (which played 2ST last summer) in April and Michelle Tannenbaum has been replaced by.... Pam MacKinnon? I had heard a rumor before it opened they wanted to try to bring it to broadway but the reviews kind of stopped that. Also looks like Mandy Moore has been replaced as Choreographer. Anyone have any clue about this.

http://playbill.com/jobs/find/job_detail/58874.html
LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Interesting that Byron, Evan and Christian are all already cast, too.

I loved NLY and saw it three times, but I think Second Stage was the right venue for it. It didn't seem like a Broadway show.
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
I thought it was a fine summer diversion, but hardly Broadway material.
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I had fun at it, but I imagine it would be swallowed whole by even the smallest Broadway theaters.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
I saw it twice and really enjoyed it (wish we'd gotten somewhat of a cast recording if only for Heath Calverts songs)

I know when they did it out west it was done in the round, could they be considering trying to grab Circle in the fall? I feel like theres a big goal here if MacKinnon is involved and they replaced the choreographer? they maybe trying to do this again from scratch?
ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
I would hope not. Even with MacKinnon's involvement nothing could save this show.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
^it was WAY more enjoyable then Little Miss Sunshine
ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
I'm not saying that. Didn't care for either one. Honestly couldn't say which one was worse though. There were some moments in SUNSHINE that I actually enjoyed unlike NLY.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
I honestly found the whole to be rather dull and boring, and I'm a reality tv show watcher, so I got all the inside jokes, etc, it just wasn't all that interesting to me. The lead characters were hella bland, and all the weird little diversions just weren't that funny.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Casting news for the workshop, thats some power and further leads me to believe this maybe taking Circle In The Square in the fall.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jarrod-Spector-Rebecca-Naomi-Jones-Emily-Padgett-More-Set-for-NOBODY-LOVES-YOU-Reading-on-417-18-20140410
Updated On: 4/10/14 at 11:58 AM
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
I agree with Kad that I found this to be an amusing (if rather unmemorable) show when I saw it last summer, but I don't really see it going very far on Broadway. I'm glad they went for new leads, though--the ones at Second Stage were very bland.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/10/14 at 12:37 PM
LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Link http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jarrod-Spector-Rebecca-Naomi-Jones-Emily-Padgett-More-Set-for-NOBODY-LOVES-YOU-Reading-on-417-18-20140410#.U0bLnK1dUt0

Surprised they're replacing Rory O'Malley, but Jarrod Spector as Jeff sounds like fantastic casting.
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
Updated On: 4/10/14 at 12:49 PM
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
If that's the cast they're securing, I really cannot see this running long, if it even ends up at Circle.

I don't recall this even doing particularly well at Second Stage- I saw it later in the run, and the house was maybe 70% full.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
well something is definitely already booked for the Fall at circle and im lead to believe the best bet right now is this show.
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
The actual show is just terrible. The songs are boring, and the show just wasn't funny. I don't see this lasting at all on Broadway, but maybe it's one of those "It'll run for a second and then do well regionally?"
dexter3
Stand-by
I can't imagine that they are retooling it for broadway, but they might be workshopping it in preparation for licensing. As in, trying to create a stronger version that regional/colleges could do.