ODE TO JOY with Kathryn Erbe and Arliss Howard

Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
I have such a crush on Arliss Howard.
yes, you
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Isn't he a dreamboat? He did a film in the eighties called PLAIN CLOTHES where he did a shirtless scene in a locker room that was...just the thing for a teenage boy like me. La Winger is a lucky, lucky lady.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
newintown
Broadway Legend
Although I have no doubt I'll enjoy this play (as I do all his work), this is what I'd definitely call a mixed review, not positive.
HogansHero
Featured Actor
Having seen both the show and the review, I agree it is mixed. It is also pretty accurate-if anyone sees it as positive, they are imagining what it just as easily could have been.
stevenycguy
Broadway Star
I really enjoyed this show - It's very strongly acted and great to see the woman from Law & Order up close. We see the main character in present day time, and she narrates how she had 2 love interests that each spanned over numerous years (though at separate times). One with a man who she met at a bar, and one with a woman who was trying to buy a painting from her. The dialogue is very realistic and the show is quite engrossing. There are scenes of high drama along the way. She looks back at her life and sees how each of her two lovers helped her to grow as a person, to try to find joy in her life, and to learn more about herself. It's a poignant piece of work, and I gave it a standing ovation. (The website originally said it had a runtime of 2 hours 30 minutes, but the version I saw later in the run was a tight 2 hours.)
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
I would definitely say that review is mixed since Brantley opens by calling it an eloquent mess. I would have to agree with that statement. There are some good moments in this play but a lot of it is muddled by excess.

All three of the actors are top notch. I'm also glad I get to see Kathryn Erbe acting without a horrible wig like she had in NATURAL AFFECTION. In lesser hands the role of Adele could have steered the wrong way and you would really dislike her. Arliss Howard is looking pretty fine in this role and I'm glad to have the chance to see him on stage (even in the buff a bit). My one critique is that in the first scene he does have a bit too much lipstick and eye makeup on which I don't think is needed in such a small space. Roxanna Hope does her best with what I feel is the least developed character.

The story itself starts off strong with good scenes between the two couples with very realistic dialogue and situations (even if a bit over-the-top). Where the play comes off the rails is in Act 2 during the hospital scenes which I think go by a little too fast without much information. I also didn't like that Mala breaks the fourth wall during these scenes because it seems to come out of nowhere. The website says that the play was 2.5 hours but when I saw it the play was down to 2 hours. I wonder what was trimmed and if it was what set up some of the necessary relationships between Adele and her lovers.

I want to give special kudos to the set designer because they did a lot with a limited space. The stage was transformed into a lot of different locales and they were all fully realized in the small theatre.

Would definitely recommend the show but I wouldn't go in expecting some life-changing play.

As a side note, the theatre was FREEZING the night I went. Not sure if they don't have heat or what but I was tempted to wear my jacket during the entire show. If you go, bring layers.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

BROADWAYWORLD TV