Any word on HAND TO GOD?

WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/25/14 at 01:26pm
Has anyone on here seen this yet? It seems interesting; I'd love to know what the buzz is.

http://www.mcctheater.org/currentseason.html#GOD
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Wee Thomas2
Leading Actor
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/25/14 at 04:01pm
We saw it two years ago and thought it was excellent. Looking forward to seeing it in a theater with more than 74 seats.
PJPan
Understudy
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/25/14 at 06:00pm
Going tonight...I'll let you know!
PJPan
Understudy
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/26/14 at 09:20am
Oh my...I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time at the theater. Steven Boyers truly inhabits the hell out of that puppet and his motions and "facial" expressions are killer. Sarah Stiles is adorably nerdy. Geneva Carr (who I saw last year in "I Wanna Destroy You" at Theatre Row) makes an art form out of being flustered. Marc Kudisch was also pretty impressive in how he truly humanized a sometimes stereotypical character.

Act 2 gets much darker and the laughs come less frequent, becuase more is delved into why it's all happening. There's still an amazing sequence when Stiles and Boyer have an awkward heart to heart while she brings her own puppet on board (I won't spoil it), and the final few minutes are harsh, human, and for me at least, truly affecting.

Easily one of the best shows I've seen in this short year, but I'm sure it'll remain on top.
Wee Thomas2
Leading Actor
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/26/14 at 10:42am
I'm so glad you liked it. It got great writeups in New York Magazine (remember when they used to cover Theater?) which is why we saw it last time around and it did not disappoint.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 2/27/14 at 09:50am
This is a really hilarious, entertaining play. I recommend it highly. Steven Boyer, Geneva Carr, and Sarah Stiles are doing particularly great performances. The last 15 minutes may not quite live up to what came before, but I'm not sure if anything could.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 01:45am
Seeing it this weekend! Very excited!
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
LimelightMike
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 02:14am
Super stoked for this one!

I have my ticket for later in the month! :)
LimelightMike's 2010-2011 Theatergoing Schedule: THE PITMEN PAINTERS (10.03.10) A LIFE IN THE THEATRE (10.10.10) BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON (10.16.10) THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS (11.06.10) WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN (11.13.10) BRIEF ENCOUNTER (11.22.10) THE PEE-WEE HERMAN SHOW (11.28.10) LA BETE (12.23.10) A SMALL FIRE (01.13.11) THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON (03.09.11) ARCADIA (03.16.11) BLACK TIE (03.19.11) PRISCILLA: QUEEN OF THE DESERT (03.21.11) THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST (03.26.11) BENGAL TIGER AT THE BAGHDAD ZOO (03.30.11) GHETTO KLOWN (03.31.11) HOW TO SUCCEED... (04.07.11) ANYTHING GOES (04.12.11) JERUSALEM (04.20.11) SISTER ACT (04.29.11) iHO: (05.22.11)
AndrewAndrew
Stand-by
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:33pm
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/16/14 at 10:17pm
I absolutely loved it. If you like a good black comedy, don't miss this production. It's so dark it veers into horror territory towards the end. It's also just so genius in the way it all unfolds, so impeccably written, and features an absolutely boffo central performance from Steven Boyer. Where did this guy come from?!? He's brilliant! He is giving, hands down, one of the best stage performances of the year for me. His Act Two scene with Sarah Stiles (yes, that scene) is so dementedly hilarious, twisted, and oddly touching. All of the performances are strong, across the board. I was also pretty impressed with the surprisingly intricate set design.

The less you know about the show beforehand, the better, I think. All you really need to know is this is one you shouldn't miss. HAND TO GOD is yet another example of how the most unique, risky, and exciting theater in New York is generally not on Broadway.
Updated On: 3/17/14 at 10:17 PM
broadwaybelter
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 12:01am
Does anyone know if this is still under commercial option?
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 07:40am

Gosh, is there any possibility at all of an extension?
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
Kad
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 08:19am
Nope. It has to close at the end of the month.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 08:27am

Goddamn it. That's what I thought. (And I knew you'd be the one to answer this question.)

Thank you!
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
Wee Thomas2
Leading Actor
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 11:30am
We bought tix for closing weekend. Loved it at Ensemble, and looking forward to seeing it again in the bigger venue.

Any chance it transfers elsewhere based on the good reviews and (I hope) good houses? It would be a shame for this to just disappear.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 12:12pm
I agree, it would be ridiculous for this not to transfer, particularly when so many lesser works have in the past. With one set (the moves a bit, manually) and five actors, cost can't be given as a coherent excuse. And the word of mouth on it has been better than any other play in many years.

I could see producers begging off with the justification that it "isn't sufficiently commercial" (aka "too good for the tourists"), but I wouldn't even buy that.
Sauja
Broadway Star
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 12:49pm
Saw this on Saturday and was hugely in love with it. I assumed it was going to be an amusing show. Possibly very funny. And it was both of those things. What surprised me so much was the depth of feeling behind everything. Kudisch has a conversation about loneliness that made me tear up. Boyer has a scene that invoked very real feelings of horror. And the take on religion is one that feels familiar yet brave at the same time. As hard as I laughed, I was more thrilled by the fact that there was such a deep emotional grounding and that the play really took us somewhere.

There were a couple moments I felt were underexplained or pushed the bounds of credulity a touch too far, but in the end, the highs of the show were so great that they obliterated any complaints. I truly, truly loved this.

I also heard the house manager saying they couldn't extend at all because another show is booked in. I can see this having life elsewhere. Hope it has a chance to be seen by more people.
I started a blog! Cause I'm a nerd. http://100showsayear.blogspot.com/
Kad
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 02:10pm
I've heard there's interest for a transfer, but who knows? I'd love to see it happen. I could see producers insisting on some star power in the cast, but it'd be a shame to lose Geneva Carr (and I doubt it would transfer without Boyer).
HogansHero
Featured Actor
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/17/14 at 02:15pm
A transfer would not be surprising; leaving the neighborhood would.
Steve721
Stand-by
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/18/14 at 09:49pm
Steven Boyer "In Performance" at the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/theater/100000002772773/in-performance-steven-boyer.html

This looks amazing.
Sophiia
Understudy
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:11am
Finally saw this tonight - HILARIOUS. And dark and surprising and moving. Just a fabulous play. And Sondheim was in the audience tonight! Loved hearing him chuckle throughout :) Definitely hope this gets new life with a transfer! The whole cast is excellent and Steven Boyer is a force.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/19/14 at 01:14am
I love that video! But it just barely scratches the surface of how unbelievably good Boyer is. Ugh, I really, really hope the play has a future somewhere after The Lortel!
broadwaybelter
Broadway Legend
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/19/14 at 04:41pm
This would be a great production to land at the Barrow St Theater.
pennydreadful
Stand-by
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/19/14 at 10:57pm
Saw this tonight - Steven Boyer is incredible. I enjoyed it SO much. If you're on the fence, go!!
oncemorewithfeeling2
Stand-by
Any word on HAND TO GOD?
Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:31pm
I saw it this past weekend and Sauja summed up a lot of what I felt. I was surprised of the depth at parts, but in the end, the fact that it's a really well executed dark comedy wins.

Boyer us amazing, but I enjoyed the entire cast, with Carr and Stiles sticking out as well. It was great to see Sarah Stiles in her element. She's such a great young comedic actress and I think she has tons of potential (still).

If you get a chance to catch it, it makes for a great evening.

Page: