On DCMTA Sondheim Allows Landless to produce Prog-Metal Sweeney Todd

hockeynut2
Broadway Legend
On DCMetroTheaterArts: Bloody Good News! Sondheim Grants Landless Theatre Company Permission to Develop Prog-Metal Version of ‘Sweeney Todd’ by Andrew L. Baughman.

Sondheim Grant Permission for Landless Theatre Co to produce Prog-Mel version of Sweeney Todd on DCMetroTheaterArts
Updated On: 2/10/14 at 10:42 AM
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
This is gonna sound insane but I've always wondered what that score would sound like with a heavy rock rearrangement.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Mattbrain: it would probably sound like this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdglOgPsWVQ
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 2/10/14 at 01:24 PM
hockeynut2
Broadway Legend
The Dee Snyder video of him actually performing the song is at the bottom of the article. It's the first video. Thanks Jacob for posting your video.

Updated On: 2/10/14 at 03:07 PM
darquegk
Broadway Legend
I'm thinking personally that a sound closer to The Decemberists or early Genesis than Dee Snider would work best- the mix of pastoral English folk, theatrical drama, and progressive metal. Go too heavy and parts of the score will sound incongruous.
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
If they pull this off, I hope I can see the orchestrations at some point.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Sounds cool to me. I always thought they should UP the horror factor, and I think adding a rock tilt will be really cool.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Yep, i've wanted to do this, too
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Star
I don't know about prog-metal, but I've always wanted to hear how the show would sound if Jim Steinman produced the album.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik