No ‘Velma’s Revenge’ listed in Hairspray Playbill.

darreyl102
Broadway Legend
So I have a question (sorry if it’s been asked before), but why wasn’t Velma’s Revenge ever on the Song list inside the Broadway Playbill for Hairspray. I mean, it is short, but it defiantly seems like it should have been listed. Nor was it listed for a lot of touring and regional productions until recent years. Just wondering.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 2/6/14 at 03:58 PM
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Who is it defying? Gravity?
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Well, several songs / reprises were never listed in the Playbill, at least if you compare it to how the number are broken down in the musical score. How a regional production lists the synopsis of scenes or musical numbers is really up to an individual theatre's discretion.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
I get that, but ‘Velma’s Revenge’ is a pretty big song- I mean, if performed right, it can be a showstopper and defiantly the highlight vocally for Velma’s character.
Darreyl with an L!
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
de·fi·ant (d?-f???nt)
adj.
Marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
de·fi?ant·ly adv.

def·i·nite·ly (def-uh-nit-lee)
adv.
In a clear and definite manner; unambiguously.

Notice a difference?
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Thank you. I see you’re point now. Your first post confused me as to what the point of it was- now I get it. Spellcheck doesn’t catch everything- LOL
Darreyl with an L!
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
(spell check didn't catch it because you didn't write a word incorrectly, you wrote the wrong word.)
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
^^
LMFAO! Sometimes I love you dramamama.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Exactly! That’s why I said it can’t catch everything. It can’t catch factual errors, Homonyms, Wrong dates, same phrase or sentence twice in a row, incorrect verb tenses, or the wrong word choice. I am not a complete idiot.

I said Spell Check won’t catch it because it’s not spelled wrong; it’s just the wrong word to use.
Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 2/6/14 at 07:53 PM
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Jury's still out on that one.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Not every reprise gets listed in every show for any number of reasons. I can only speculate, but I think often times some reprises are so short they just choose not to list them. Some shows do list them. I think all of the reprises were listed in the Beauty and the Beast playbill for example. It just depends.

I've often wondered who compiles the song lists, if the creative team gets together and decides how they want it to look and who decides when not to list the songs at all like for Avenue Q and Book of Mormon.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
@ ClydeBarrow - You know, this is one of the things I don’t like about this board. You make a mistake, someone points it out, you thank them for correcting them and they turn around and insult you- Classy.
Darreyl with an L!
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
@ CATSNYrevival – Thank you for that!
Darreyl with an L!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Well, depending on the girls at hand, the "Big Girl Playoff" and the "Dynamites Playoff" can stop the show too. "Velma's Revenge" clocks in at one minute flat, depnding on whether the actress draws it out or not. But other major reprises in the show are not listed. "Timeless to Me" is actually TWO numbers.. "Timeless to Me" and "Timeless to Me (reprise)", and "You Can't Stop the Beat" is two separate numbers, but lists as one on the Playbill.
They also opted not to include the "Nicest Kids in Town (reprise)" on the cast recording...
We can speculate reasons, but ultimately, it isn't important to include every detail and item as it is to make ot comprehensive and easy for a patron to read and follow.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
I get The Playoff’s for Welcome to the Sixties, Timeless to Me and Mama I’m a Big Girl Now not being listed, because that’s what they are- Playoffs, and the follow directly after the number they are playoffs to. As does the second part of YCSTB (there is some dialogue between part one and 2, but there is no song in between them). Velma’s Revenge comes 16 minutes after Miss Baltimore Crabs. I don’t know, maybe I’m soo hung up about it because it’s my favorite number in the show. LOL.
Darreyl with an L!