Cinderella Carly Rae Jepsen Stagedoor

Fiyero13
Broadway Star
I saw the above thread but didn't know if it was discussed there, i was just curious how much of a mad house the stage door was to this musical
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
I saw the above thread but didn't know if it was discussed there

novel idea: look.

Does she sign the stage curtain?
Emma White
Featured Actor
I was there last night. The stage door was not insane at all. People cared much more about Fran Drescher than Carly. Fran Drescher did not sign anything, but stood there to allow peopleto take pictures of her. Carly signed a lot and was very, very friendly! So nice.
"Nice is different than good."
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
That seems kind of odd. I wonít sign for you, but I will stand in front of you and let you take pictures of me. Not what I would expect from Fran.
Darreyl with an L!
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Fran let people take pictures OF her, not WITH her? Uhhh...
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
I mean, it's weird. I get not wanting to sign, but donít come out the stage door and stand there away from us- itís kind like teasing.
Darreyl with an L!
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
How odd. I've always known Fran to pose and sign anything. Maybe it was just an "off" night.
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
Maybe she was confused and thought everyone was there for Carly? I know a lot of people say "I don't have time for pictures, but you can always take pictures of me" (Norbert said that both times I went to see Big Fish), but they still usually try and sign everyones Playbill.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
I guarantee that if Fran was standing out there, someone in the Stage Door line asked her to sign, so i highly doubt she was confused. Notice that Emma White stated that people were more interested in Fran then Carly.
Darreyl with an L!
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Fran signed and took pictures with people when I saw her in Love, Loss, and What I Wore. But that was a smaller crowd and it wasn't freezing cold.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Hairspray0901
Stand-by
I personally am looking forward to seeing Fran over Carly. I know they're not obligated to sign and take photos with people so I don't need that speech, but, why even come out at all if you're just going to stand there for people to take photos OF you? Seems a bit cocky to me.
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
When I saw Some Girls Fran walked right past everyone, even those calling to her, signed nothing and got in her car. One of the girls working said it was the norm.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Thatís a shame if the norm. She doesnít seem like the type of person to be that way. You would think she would be more people friendly.
Darreyl with an L!
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Honestly, I give her some slack. I mean I think most people only know The Nanny persona and her campy outspoken self. I understand she is pretty introverted. I think she'd be cool if there wasnt a crowd of people waiting for her.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
And plus, she could be worried that people would use her autograph for $$
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Fran Drescherís autograph is not worth anything near what Daniel Radcliffe, Tom Hanks, Bette Midler or the like is (who all signed at the stage door.). Her sig doesnít go for much. But still, I get what you are saying.
Darreyl with an L!
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
I've read her Cancer Shmancer book and I honestly can't remember a lot of what I read, but I have a feeling that she's definitely introverted like Bettyboy72 said. Reminds me a little of Idina (the way she closes herself off). I'm reading "Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can't Stop Talking" and the author actually mentions Barbra Streisand quite a few times. It's pretty interesting to experience people at the stage door coming from a psychological point of view!
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
But could someone explain the whole standing at the stage door and letting people take pictures of you. Thatís pretty interesting. If she was introverted, you would think she would just go straight to her car or past the stage door.
Darreyl with an L!
fingerlakessinger
Broadway Legend
I'm assuming it might be because she doesn't feel comfortable having strangers touch her. Usually when you get a photograph with someone, they put their arm around you or get very close. For some, that is off putting. On the few occasions I've asked for a photograph with someone, I stood by them and didn't put my arm around them until they initiated it, if that makes sense.
"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."
ilikebroadwaythings1
Swing
Just wondering, has the rest of the cast been coming out? Victoria Clark, Ann Harada, Joe Carroll especially? I'd hate for the rest of the cast to shy away from the stagedoor because of the crowds for Carly and Fran.
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Its not uncommon for a celebrity to allow photos "of" them not "with" them. Actually, Fran posing is kind-she's creating a photo op. Usually you have to settle with a bad photo of a star with their head down signing a Playbill or walking to their car.

Fran is actually letting you get a photo of her. I'd be ok with that. Sigourney, Bette, Anne Heche and quite of few others have said that-they wont pose with you.

However, most stars will if there is no crowd.

I've read Fran's books-she doesn't like crowds, is very protective of her health and immune system and she is a trauma survivor.

I think it is sweet when a star will stop and wave or pose-its an acknowledgment. Signing doesn't denote appreciation.
getatme
Stand-by
After her first show, Fran signed for as many people as she could get to and was talking pictures with anybody who asked her for one. Carly did the same. Carly's fans were incredibly aggressive, though, and ended up pushing past her security and getting way too close.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
She has that many fans? She only has one song, right?
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
" If she was introverted, you would think she would just go straight to her car or past the stage door."

Introversion doesn't mean anti-social. It just means your energy drains when you are around people and you get your energy back by being alone. It's probably more comfortable for her to stand alone then to be around all of those people. I can't imagine how overwhelming it is, for anyone, to be standing there with tons of people shouting at you (granted it comes with the territory, I know, but it doesn't mean they have to like it or it's less traumatizing).

Updated On: 2/7/14 at 05:53 PM
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
"why even come out at all if you're just going to stand there for people to take photos OF you? Seems a bit cocky to me."

Well, it is the stage door, not the autograph door, so that is where the company typically come out to exit the building and go home.
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
But they don't always HAVE to come out the stage door, they can use other exits too- Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones did that sometimes after The Best Man.
Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 2/7/14 at 09:06 PM

Page: