BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN opera opens at Teatro Real in Madrid

themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
newintown
Broadway Legend
Interesting reviews. I admit that I've never been a fan of Wuorinen's stuff, but what seems more problematic (to me) is the additional words assigned to essentially rather silent characters. Sometimes a few seconds of silence says worlds more than 2 hours of prose, verse, or song.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
I agree (I actually saw Brokeback more as a dance piece, and I'm surprised nobody, to my knowledge, has done that.) Still, while I'm not too into 12 tone stuff (I assume this is, not knowing the composer but reading how much he likes Berg and Shoenberg) I actually kinda liked the clips. It's too bad the NYCO couldn't open this as planned.

It will be webcast internationally next week, BTW http://www.medici.tv/#!/brokeback-mountain-wuorinen-teatro-real-madrid-titus-engel-ivo-van-hove (That's probably been mentioned somewhere here already, but...)
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
One thing about the added dialogue is I do trust Proulx's instincts with these characters (even if her novella had very little actual dialogue for *anyone*)
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

Thanks for the link to the webcast, Eric!
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
whatever2
Broadway Legend
Eric: I'm not sure I'm prepared to trust Proulx' instincts *as a librettist*. To be clear: I own every book she's written; her prose is beyond reproach. But writing the lyrics for an opera is a very specific skill set, and this is Annie's first attempt. Her genius lies in her ability to convey so much so sparsely ... adding lines may not have served her story well. (Dunno, of course, not having seen it.) To corrupt a line from Amadeus: maybe there were too many words?

I'm actually more worried about the (relative) criticisms of the score.

Regardless, if it crosses the Pond I'll see it!

(And thanks a million for the link!!!)
"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
newintown
Broadway Legend
There has been a glut of "any writer who has enjoyed success can write anything" recently represented by the inept books for 9 to 5, Leap of Faith, and Big Fish, all done by the original screenwriters, with no track record or writing anything for the theatre, let alone a musical. I'd also add Nobel-winning poet Derk Walcott's unbearably static and turgid libretto for The Capeman.

Some tasks that might appear identical often require entirely different skill sets.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

There was an interview this morning with Proulx and Wuorinen on NPR. I can'[t say I was totally sold hearing them talk about why they made some of the choices they did, either musically or libretically.
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
Vespertine1228
Broadway Legend
I would be shocked if BAM didn't try to put this on the schedule some time in the next year. Seems like the best place for it now that NYC Opera is gone.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
They are getting a lot of press -- the guy playing Ennis just gave a good 20 minute interview on CBC Radio.

Of course everyone's right, and I agree, that someone who is good at writing for one medium isn't always (often?) equally strong at other mediums. I didn't even mean to imply that, just that Proulx probably has better instincts at how much to write for the character than others. Or maybe :P I know she didn't do the screenplay of course -- opera libretti are a different thing (different from musical lyrics as well.)

I did think it's an intriguing approach that Ennis barely is vocal except after his love scene with Jack and then primarily only with Jack.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
The interview with Canadian Daniel Okulitch who plays Ennis that just aired is available to listen to here http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2014/01/30/canadian-co-star-of-brokeback-mountain-opera-on-forbidden-love

It's an interesting piece -- and does have spoilers the others haven't talked about if you care. Specifically about what Proulx added, some of which sounds intriguing some of which sounds... less so (I'll hint now there's a ghost, although as he says that is something of an operatic tradition...)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Cuz if there's one thing two inarticulate cowboys are likely to do it's burst into highly emotional song.
"I hate dead people!" -- Joan Rivers. A Piece of Work
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Jack blabs through the whole movie though (not the short story which is in every scene, except one key one, told through a sort of internal dialogue of Ennis') but yes, noted. Apparently for most of Act I Ennis' singing are mainly grunts or one word musical "punctuations..."
latitudex1
Featured Actor
Just as a reminder: The live broadcast is starting in around 10 minutes.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
And it will be up for a few more days for anyone who wants to catch it...

I really liked the production--more than I expected. I'd have to hear the score more to really make up my mind about it, but...
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend

Is it weird that I think Ennis looks like Oscar from The Office?

nomore.org
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Umm you mean Jack?
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Ooops! Yes, Jack.
nomore.org