'Acceptable' Musicals?

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/22/14 at 07:47pm
What musicals are at its root about acceptance?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/22/14 at 07:51pm
Kinky Boots!
Four Simple Rules for Attending the Theater 1. This is a nice night out. Dress accordingly. Like, no sweatpants. 2. When you enter the theater, turn off your phone. All issues with phones will be avoided this way, & you won't be verbally accosted by the cast, crew, & other patrons. 3. I did not pay dollas to hear you talk or sing. I paid dollas to see & hear gorgeous men like Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo & Joshua Henry. 4. Unless you have medical issues, don't eat. The wrappers are loud, & your disgusting munching is even louder. You aren't at the movies or a barn dance, baby.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/22/14 at 07:52pm
All of them! We have to accept the fact that the characters are going to sing when things get too emotional.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
adam.peterson44
Broadway Star
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 07:30am
La Cage Aux Folles
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 08:04am
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 08:17am
SOUTH PACIFIC, accepting people who don't look like you do into your own life
INTO THE WOODS, accepting the imperfections and painful realities of life and one's responsibilities to oneself and one's community
FUN HOME, accepting that you, under other historical conditions, might be just as ****ed up as your parents
FALSETTOS, accepting that "everyone hates their parents."
FOLLIES, accepting just being dressy when you are no longer juicy or, if you can't afford to be dressy at that age, accepting being neither dressy nor juicy

Updated On: 1/23/14 at 08:17 AM
carlodowd
Stand-by
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 08:31am
Shrek The Musical- Its ok to be different
best12bars
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 09:09am
I agree that that's either a major or minor theme in many musicals.

West Side Story
Hairspray
Show Boat
Wicked

So many ...
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Kad
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 09:23am
"THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA"

Er... accepting a sociopath?

The Scottsboro Boys
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 09:46am
Rent.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
Jon
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 09:51am
Once On This Island - the dark-skinned peasant girl is shunned by the fair-skinned rich "beauxhommes".
After Eight
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 09:52am
The Grand Tour
onedaymore
Leading Actor
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 11:02am
Ragtime
Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 07:00pm
And the one that started it all: OKLAHOMA!

If "acceptance" means tolerance of diversity, then ALL the R&H musicals (and their imitators) are basically built on that theme. Best12 is right that Hammerstein starts the trend with SHOW BOAT.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 07:06pm
Acceptance could mean both learning to accept yourself or others accepting you.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 07:25pm
But by that definition, wouldn't every American musical be included? Hell, even MY FAIR LADY becomes a story about class acceptance in American hands.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
'Acceptable' Musicals?
Posted: 1/23/14 at 07:33pm
My Fair Lady is an excellent example and one I was thinking of initially, but when I am O/P, I like to keep the slate clean and let others contribute.

I wouldn't say Pippin, Spiderman or Cinderella etc are about acceptance.